Author Topic: UB's Naan Recipe - Illustrated  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: UB's NAAN RECIPE - ILLUSTRATED
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 06:11 PM »
yep, egg will help rising and make the dough softer and the bread lighter.

a mix of self-rising flour and yeast will get the right texture and blistering on domestic hobs.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 06:14 PM »
Looks great...how much milk did you use?

cheers

1 cup mate :)

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 12:03 AM »
OK I tried this recipe and followed it exactly. When cooked on a hot plate it did rise and bubble like a propper Naan and was very light. The only one problem, and I can't think what I did wrong  is that it tasted very sour (I don't know if it was the yeast??? )and not sweet like the nanns I'm used to (or used to be, I'm in Oz now and they can't make nanns in the Indian restaurants I've tried in Brisbane, one restaurant's tasted like french toast gone wrong ). Any advice would be appreciated before I try this recipe again.

Ta  ???

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 08:08 AM »
rallim, i am going to try this recipe along with Cory Ander's this weekend. i also make my own bread now and again. in the past I've found the KD recipe for Naan to be pretty good - the supring element being caster sugar.

this does make a big difference in terms of sweetness compared to normal sugar.

unclebuck's recipe does not have any sugar where as KD and Cory call for 2 table spoons in 450gm and 1000gm respectively.

i am going to put 2 tbsp of caster in when i make Unclebuck's.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 06:20 PM »
yep sugar is a good idea also sometimes i use honey!, as much or little as you want depends on how you like it

Offline DangerousDave

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 06:34 PM »
WOW WOW! i try this nann recipe last night with some left over curry, it was bloody fantastic!!, when they was still hot i drizzled some honey over the top. ive been made breads for years but this was very quick and got light, fluffy and bubbley nanns... thanks UB im off to make some more  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 04:30 PM »
tried both UB's and CA's naan with the same meal. i cooked both on gas BBQ and therefore can't comment on results for hob.

i did put the egg and 2 tbsp of caster sugar in both. i also did not mess about on the making side (powers in, liquid in, mix, knead).

the testers knew there were 2 types but could not distinguish between and said "naans were fine" (their definition of fine being not bad at all).

i favoured UB's as i think a yeast base gives a nicer taste. i'm not 100% sure but think the self raising flour gives more of a pastry after taste.

i personally did not think there was not sufficient difference to change from normal KD recipe though.

©2024 Curry Recipes