Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 335994 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« on: January 06, 2008, 05:03 PM »
As most of you will be aware, I was invited by Raj (the manager) to spend a few hours in the kitchens of Saffron in Lincoln. Yesterday lunch time I spent 3 hours learning how to make the base gravy with Saffron's four chefs (Anam, Aziz, Lal and Joy).

Kitted out in full chefs outfit, notebook and pen I was told that the gravy we were about to make is used in about 80% of their curries. Raj told me that the batch we were making was for me to take home ... oh deep joy (this filled a 5 kg yoghurt bucket).

So here it is chaps:-

Please Note: An update to this recipe has been supplied here (please click link): http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.msg20262.html#msg20262

8 to 10 medium size cooking onions (about 1.5 kg unpeeled)
1 large carrot
1 green pepper
4 salad potatoes (peeled)
2 medium tomatoes

Chop roughly and add to large cooking pot

Add:-

2 cups (500 ml) of fresh vegetable oil
2 tbsp (30 g) garlic/ginger puree
1 tbsp (15 g ml) salt
enough water to cover all the ingredients

Cover and bring to boil. Simmer for about 40 minutes stirring occasionally.

Add:-

Half a tin (200 g) of chopped plum tomatoes (Italian Napolina)
25 ml cumin powder
25 ml coriander powder
25 ml turmeric powder
25 ml paprika (deghi mirch)

1 tsp - 5 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml

Cook for another 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and blend for at least 5 minutes until very smooth.

Add  2 pints of water. The gravy will now resemble a very thin soup.

Bring to boil. Simmer uncovered for about 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove any scum forming on the surface. When the oil separates the gravy is complete.

--------------

Now as soon as I got home, I poured the gravy into my cooking pot (see photo below).

I will warn you, the gravy tastes and smells absolutely nothing like curry. It has a bland (but not bitter) taste. Do not let this fool you. This is exactly as it should be (I tasted one of their ready made gravies).

I whipped up a quick prawn madras using 2 ladles (200 ml) of sauce and I've got tell you ... it was really great.

Here is the Madras (for one). For two just double up on all ingredients etc....

Half cooking onion chopped finely
200 ml gravy
0.5 tsp coriander
0.5 tsp cumin
0.5 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder (or more if you're a chilli head)
2 tsp tomato puree
A little veg oil (2 tbsp)

Heat oil (medium heat) add onion. Fry onion until just starting to colour (about 5 minutes)
Add spices stirring continuously for 1 minute
(add cooked meat here)
Add gravy and tomato puree and simmer (medium heat) for about 10 minutes stirring regularly. Add a little water if it gets too dry.
Add prawns near end of cooking.

Photos from top
.. the base gravy
.. cooking the madras
.. the finished prawn madras

Regards

SnS ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:20 AM by Admin »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Hi smokenspices,

Great report and pics thanks for sharing.

Again it is very similar to lot of the other BIR base recipes others have been shown myself included.  Is this the exact same base they use in the restaurant just scaled down?  Out of interest how did your madras compare to one you have had from the restaurant?

Thanks

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 05:26 PM »
Is this the exact same base they use in the restaurant just scaled down?  Out of interest how did your madras compare to one you have had from the restaurant?

Thanks

It is identical to the one they use in the restaurant. They make a pot containing about twice as much as this - enough for one evening.

The Madras tastes and smells as good as the restuarant Madras. I am really pleased with the results ... and not too complicated either.

I've just cooked another Madras just to make sure of the ingredients ... it really works.

scratch and sniff here ...
Regards
SnS :D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Great post SnS!

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 05:43 PM »
Questions by CA

STOCK is a big question mark for me!  Only water used in the base gravy - not stock
OIL (source of) is another!  Fresh veg oil is always used in the base gravy and lots of it... I asked Anam, the head chef, this question
HEAT is another (I'm sure this creates "the magic" as with Chinese cooking) the burners used were about 3 kW, however these were not used at full power to cook the curry. I'm sure that heat (or lack of it) is as big an issue as many suspect

Regards

SnS ;D

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Great post sns, and pictures too. I bet you felt like as kid in a sweet shop  8) To be invited into the kitchen is a big plus, but to actually witness the making of a batch of base sauce with your name on it. Wow  :o . Are the chef`s aware that you are a member of cr0 and what we are about? I think CA was asking if you could try to get them on board? Did you have any joy with this, or do you think it`s best to take it one step at a time? After all they don't have much to gain by helping us.

Nice one..sns.. regards.. mike.. 

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Are the chef`s aware that you are a member of cr0 and what we are about? I think CA was asking if you could try to get them on board? Did you have any joy with this, or do you think it`s best to take it one step at a time? After all they don't have much to gain by helping us.

I did mention to Raj that I was a member of a "curry" forum but I don't think he fully understood.

Raj has offered to come round my home (for one to one cookery lesson). I may ask him about joining the forum then (show him on my computer), but I can't see him wanting to - like you say Mike he has nothing to gain.

Will you be trying the gravy recipe?

Regards
SnS ;D

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 08:06 PM »

Will you be trying the gravy recipe?

I think based on what you said, this one is going to be what I use for my next batch of base within the next couple of weeks.  Won't have much of a chance to do much extra-curricular cooking for a while... :(

Sounds like it was a fantastic day out.  Thanks for sharing what you found.

Cheers.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 09:12 PM »
Just tried it now. Good solid results. A good standard base for sure.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Just tried it now. Good solid results. A good standard base for sure.

Crikey Bobby - that was quick.

Did you make the Madras as well as the gravy? Do you reckon it's as good as BIR ... smell and taste?

Notice - no use of garam masala.

Best regards

SnS ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes