Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336134 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Best Madras Ever, Illustrated
« Reply #450 on: October 03, 2009, 01:45 PM »
I whipped up a quick prawn madras using 2 ladles (200 ml) of sauce and I've got tell you ... it was really great.

Here is the Madras (for one). For two just double up on all ingredients etc....

Half cooking onion chopped finely
200 ml gravy
0.5 tsp coriander
0.5 tsp cumin
0.5 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder (or more if you're a chilli head)
2 tsp tomato puree
A little veg oil (2 tbsp)

Heat oil (medium heat) add onion. Fry onion until just starting to colour (about 5 minutes)
Add spices stirring continuously for 1 minute
(add cooked meat here)
Add gravy and tomato puree and simmer (medium heat) for about 10 minutes stirring regularly. Add a little water if it gets too dry.
Add prawns near end of cooking.

I've just made the above SnS Madras and I have to say it's fantastic!!

The only changes I made were:
Add 3 tsp lemon Juice
Add 1/4 tsp Salt
Add 1/16th tsp Orange food colouring

I used TRS Extra Hot Chilli Powder 1 tsp

I've only made the sauce as I wanted to experiment. When I get a Madras it is usually more reddy/orange than the one SnS showed in his pictures.

The sauce is fantastic. Although it looks a little thick right now, I will be heating it up later and adding pre-cooked Chicken so I'll just thin it out a little bit if it needs it then.

Well done to you SnS for what is the best Madras I have ever made to date :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #451 on: October 03, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Nice work 976bar.

Any reason you chose the saffron base over the SnS 2008 base?

I only ask as SnS puts fresh corriander in the 2008 base but the Saffron recipe doesn't include this. I feel the fresh corriander adds a nice extra aromatic dimension to the base and final curry dishes.

I'm still trying to choose what base to cook next from this forum.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 03, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Nice work 976bar.

Any reason you chose the saffron base over the SnS 2008 base?

I only ask as SnS puts fresh corriander in the 2008 base but the Saffron recipe doesn't include this. I feel the fresh corriander adds a nice extra aromatic dimension to the base and final curry dishes.

I'm still trying to choose what base to cook next from this forum.

Hi Paul,

I made the SnS base last time and love it, but I want to try others too. This base is also fantastic.

The only thing about coriander in the base is that some dishes don't have it, so it, if you make those dishes then you are stuck with it.

I love Coriander but would prefer to add it to the final curry than base :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 04, 2009, 06:05 PM »
I feel the fresh coriander adds a nice extra aromatic dimension to the base and final curry dishes.

I'm sold on coriander in base too - it's a key ingredient for me. I add the stalks to all bases i make (even saffron).

Offline harry01

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 30, 2009, 02:33 PM »
After ages, I finally got round to making a base sauce. The first one I made a couple of years ago was the KD one from the book, it turned out green and quite bitter. I made this base last week and tried to follow it to the letter. I was a bit short on carrot and a bit short on pepper (though not by much) the base turned out absolutely fantastic, and I proceeded to make a chicken Korma for my missus and I. I made up the recipe from  a mixture of recipes   I have read on here and a clip from youtube with a guy making korma.
 It turned out really well, and is probably the best tasting/looking/closest to a TA I have made. It has renewed my interest in curry, and I am going to make more and also more regularly, cheers for the great base recipe :) :) :) :)

Offline Burygas

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 05, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Hi

People.

I have just made this base,the oil has separated lovely,although it took longer than 30min,around 1 and a half hour simmering.

Do i stir the oil  back in to the base sauce to seperate into pots for freezing ???

Peter

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 05, 2010, 07:05 PM »
Hi

People.

I have just made this base,the oil has separated lovely,although it took longer than 30min,around 1 and a half hour simmering.

Do i stir the oil  back in to the base sauce to seperate into pots for freezing ???

Peter

If you're not saving some of the oil (reclaim) then yes - stir it back in before dividing into your freezer pots.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 06, 2010, 12:52 PM »
Burygas,

for me i would decant the oil off ie reclaim it and use it for frying with but i use the base fresh and don't freeze. if u do intend freezing the base then i think stirring back in would be best. the reclaimed oil is only good for a max 14 days in the fridge (mine is less as it contains a little marg).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 06, 2010, 02:24 PM »

SnS strongly believes that it should be stirred back in, I believe, and for very justifiable reasons.

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 03, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Wow! I've spent this evening reading all 46 pages of comments and I'm looking forward to making this base tomorrow.

Thanks for the entertainment too!!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes