Author Topic: the real base sauce taught by Indian chef  (Read 45344 times)

Offline ronnoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
the real base sauce taught by Indian chef
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:56 PM »
this is the base sauce tought to me by indian chef.
i have been discussing this with cory as to the correct quantity of onions as the chef just filled his pot to the top with in his words about 12 and a half kilo of onions. seems quite a lot but i have spent some time working this out. i purchase his base sauce all the time and know what it tastes like to compare against side by side of my own. it has taken me some time to lower the quantities so here goes. similar to some already on here but 100% genuine. tastes great just like it should and smells devine.
5 or 6 large mild onions
50g cellery
100g white cabbage
100g carrot (about 1 medium)
50g green or yellow pepper (doesn't matter, seen him use both)
10g curry powder
2g garam masala
1 tsp salt
1t-spoon chopped corriander stalks
about 5 or 6 plum tomatoes. (about 1/2 410g tin)
25g garlic/ginger paste
1 cup of veg oil

method
place onions and veg in stock pot.
fill just below level of veg. bring to boil and simmer for an hour or so. when onions break up is correct. now add tomatoes. add salt whenever you want.
add spices and leave sitting on top while frying garlic/ginger seperately until browned. now pour garlic/ginger and oil over the veg/onion pan but be careful as this sizzles like crazy but fries the spices on top without burning due to water content and the smell is amazing. cook for a further ten mins or so and add corriader stalks and remove and blend. job done. should be soup like consistency. can post pics but don't know how
let me know how you get on
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:38 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: the real base sauce
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:10 PM »
100g white cabbage

Hi ronnoc.  Thanks for posting this.  Of all the things you could possibly put in a curry base, I don't think I ever would've considered cabbage!

1t-spoon chopped corriander stalks

Just to make sure, is this a tablespoon of chopped coriander stalks?

Sounds like this was a serious bit of R&D effort on your part.  Congratulations on the perseverance!  It also looks reasonable enough compared to some of the other recipes.  Are there any specific things you need to know when making the final curry with this base (technique, spices, etc.)?

Looks like another one well worth trying out.

Cheers,

ast

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: the real base sauce taught by Indian chef
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:51 PM »
Hi Ronnoc,

Thanks for sharing this actuall BIR recipe with us!  8)

The use of white cabbage is unusual and intersting (though I have heard of it before), as is the late addition of a garlic and ginger tarka.  Somewhat different than most base recipes and processes we see.  I want to try it to witness the smell you mention when you add the tarka!

Just a couple of points to clarify, if you could, please:

• Would the weight of onions be about 1 - 1.2kg?
  • Would the whole lot fit comfortably into a pot of about 5 litres capacity?
  • Is "celery" the stalks, the leaves, or both?
  • Is "pepper" capsicum?
  • Is it "grams" of curry powder and garam masala (rather than ml)?
  • Did you notice him using any particular curry powder or brand?
  • As AST asks, is it a tablespoon (not teaspoon) of coriander stalks (and not roots)?
  • Is the pot uncovered whilst boining the vegetables?
  • Is the oil only used to fry the garlic/ginger paste, with none otherwise being added to the onions and vegetables whilst boiling them?
  • Do you add the coriander stalks, just prior to blending, and also blend them?

For posting pics, check this thread here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1475.0.html  Please just shout if you need a hand.

Thanks again Ronnoc, I look forward to hearing of people's results!  8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:29 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:08 AM »
this is the base sauce tought to me by indian chef.
You got my attention on this one
About six weeks ago I tried a RCR recipe for curry gravy
That had cabbage in too
It didn't dominate the flavour and was a usable base
I want to try your recipe but would like a curry recipe from the same place to go with it
Do you have one?
Thanks

Offline ronnoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:19 AM »
the questions are all valid. though the base really is as simple as is written.
corriander stalks 1 tsp and blended also
pepper/capsicum same thing as far as i know
curry powder = any mild madras style
also notice no use of chilli powder at this stage. add about half t-spoon at final dishes but not at base stage. this enables dishes of all style and strenghto be created in a jiffi.
onions yeah about 1.2kg
the use of cabbage in my eyes doesn't alter the taste. but the blend and volume of veg together adds something. i also believe that maybe each chef may have his own choice outside the carrot/pepper and cellery as long as is of simmilar volume. i like to experiment myself with say turnip/ potatoe/parsnip e.t.c. remember at a large take away volume this would be easy to do. with the veg i have used i notice no dif.
anyways, the posted batch is as he uses it. but we can all create our own with this knowledge.
this all fits in the pan. i use 7.5 litre. his batch is filled to top all but about 2 inches. if you double my batch it does similar to the 7.5 litre pot but is too much for me and i don't want to risk splattering my kitchen. especially when adding the tarka as you tell me it is called.
lastly o.k. a dish from the chef
Korma
use about half pint of base
1/4 pint of condense cream or double cream
heat 4 table spoons of veg oil
fry 1 dessert spoon of same curry powder
1 rounded chef spoon of almond powder
2 table spoons of sugar
add base a bit at a time to stop sticking
cook for around ten mins when oil rises to top is done.
garnish with corriander leaf and toasted flaked almonds
enjoy
i will post a tidier version but i am getting worn out with typing
dave

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:51 AM »
Lovely, thanks; but you did not nswer C. A.'s question about grams or mls.

It's very interesting that many bases use a tarka stage involving tomarto eg KD and Bruce Edward's, and just as many don't.  I'm beginning to conclude that it can't make much difference!

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 12:09 PM »
Hi ronnoc,

Thanks for the post, first hand encounters are always welcome  8)

Offline ronnoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 12:55 PM »
sorry for missing that simple question. but looking at my 1st post it is clear enough.
g for grams
m for mils e.t.c.
these are normal terms as far as i am aware.
1 mistake i have noticed me make is 2 table spoons for Korma. start with 1 table spoon. you can add more if needed. no chilli is used. and no extra tomatoes as in some dishes.
i will also go now and try to add some pics.
dave

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Hi Ronnoc,

We're not trying to be difficult Ronnoc; it's just that someone recently accidentally specified grams (g) of each spice, in their curry base recipe, rather than the intended millilitres (ml). 

An easy mistake to make.  However, several people unfortunately tried the recipe before the error was spotted and the recipe was ammended.  The error apparantly had a marked effect on the end result.

I was trying (and I'm sure ADB was too) to prevent the same mistake happening again.  So thanks for clarifying that it is indeed grams of curry powder and garam masala.  I'm sure we all appreciate your patience!  :P

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 01:28 PM »
We're not trying to be difficult Ronnoc; it's just that someone recently accidentally specified grams (g) of each spice, in their curry base recipe, rather than the intended millilitres (ml). 

An easy mistake to make.  However, several people unfortunately tried the recipe before the error was spotted and the recipe was ammended.  The error apparantly had a marked effect on the end result.

It was meeee - big whoops!

SnS  ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes