Author Topic: LB's Balti Spice Mix  (Read 17159 times)

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: LB's Balti Spice Mix
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Hi jerry, Im a little reluctant to post in case I get called unconstructive and have my posts deleted again, but

It sounds like a shed load of salt in there (almost 9%) although i see there is also an even bigger shed load in the original (almost 17%!)

And sugar in a spice mix?  Is that right?  Whats going to happen to that when you fry it in hot oil do you think?  Melt and then burn I imagine?  :o

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 12:41 PM »
even bigger shed load in the original (almost 17%!)

Perhaps the base contains no salt?

sugar in a spice mix?...Whats going to happen to that when you fry it in hot oil do you think?

Well if it's added after the garlic ginger and onion it would help caramelise the ingredients and perhaps that's what they want?

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Good point secret santa.  One base doesnt (the full one) and one base does (the quick one) contain salt

The sugar isnt part of the original LB spice mix.  Its a change that jerry has made as I understand it.  I wouldnt be frying sugar with my spices in hot oil.  No ways

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 12:52 PM »
The sugar isnt part of the original LB spice mix.  Its a change that jerry has made as I understand it.

If I'm adding sugar to a curry I always add it before I add the spices to achieve a small amount of caramelisation. I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to do.

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 01:05 PM »
wow, interesting.  Sugar (granulated?) at somewhere in the region of 200C?  Ill have to think about the consequences of that one.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 01:09 PM »
Perhaps you missed the part where I said after the ginger, garlic and onion and as you know as long as there's any water around, which will be the case here, the temperature won't rise above 100 celcius.

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 01:21 PM »
But its before you put the spices in right?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Yes, I know what you're trying to imply. You expect a mass of charcoal, right?
Wrong! It's in there for a few seconds, barely time to even caramelise before the spices go in and a few seconds later some sort of fluid (base, tom puree etc.) will join it, so there's no time for burning.

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 01:34 PM »
No, Im seriously wondering what happens to the sugar secret santa. 

The spices will get to well above 100C wont they?  Especially if they are added as a powder (in this case with the sugar).  Otherwise they wont cook properly?  Say 200C?  Maybe higher?  And sugar melts at 140 to 185C or so?  Then decomposes?

But I suppose there is also sugar in the onions anyway?  Which will presumably also burn if youre not careful.  Interesting.  I need to study food science I think  :P

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 01:44 PM »
The spices will get to well above 100C wont they?

Not while there's any fluid in the pan they won't. It's an interesting point though because a lot of people purposely add watered down puree, for example, to make sure the spices don't burn and the reason they don't burn is because the temperature is being held back at 100 celcius by the water present.

©2024 Curry Recipes