Author Topic: Growing Fenugreek  (Read 27541 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Growing Fenugreek
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:15 PM »
posted by Kaled0070 and moved to here by CA

If, like me, you can?t find fresh or dried in your local shops, they?re real easy to grow indoors.
I threw some Swartz fenugreek seeds into a dish with some damp kitchen paper in the bottom, and a couple of days later about 90 percent had germinated.
Then into a pot with some soil and on to the windowsill, 3 weeks later, with a bit of watering, you should have all the fresh methi leaves you need, dry the rest out and store for later.
Each seed produces a shoot with 2 leaves and once you pick ?em that?s it.

Mike

posted by SecretSanta and moved to here by CA

Hi kaled, I'm really intrigued by that. I thought these days all spices were irradiated to kill insects and such, which normally makes them not germinate but, apparently not.

Also I buy methi by the bunch an it's got loads of leaves on it but you say that they only produce two per seed? Do you think that this is because they haven't been left to grow for long enough?

How does the flavour of the bought stuff compare with the ones you've grown yourself?

posted by CA and moved to here by CA

I threw some Swartz fenugreek seeds into a dish.......you should have all the fresh methi leaves you need

That is interesting Kaled.  I thought these are fenugreek sprouts (like bean sprouts) and not the actual fenugreek plants which fenugreek leaves come from?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Fenugreek
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:16 PM »
posted by SnS and moved to here by CA

I'm not quite sure what these fenugreek seedlings grow into but clearly they're growing into something.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:19 PM »
posted by Kaled and moved to here by CA

posted by SecretSanta and moved to here by CA

Also I buy methi by the bunch an it's got loads of leaves on it but you say that they only produce two per seed? Do you think that this is because they haven't been left to grow for long enough?

Just had a peek at the ones on the sill and they have have indeed started to grow multiple leaves, two to start with tho

Quote from: SS
How does the flavour of the bought stuff compare with the ones you've grown yourself?

Wish I knew mate, never found them in the shops. Seems a strange way for a plant to reproduce tho if it's seeds don't make a copy of the parent plant? I'm baffled, maybe it has to grow for a certain time before it matures??

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29 AM »
>I thought these are fenugreek sprouts (like bean sprouts)
> and not the actual fenugreek plants which fenugreek
>leaves come from?

I'm fairly sure that Fenugreek is Fenugreek and they should provide:
- sprouts if you kill them almost before birth (into a plant)
- leaves, and a lot more than two - lots of plants look a bit anonymous with just two leaves before they turn into a larger plant which is more identifiable
- seeds in due course

It may be like many dried vs fresh herbs, though. Dried herbs tend to be stronger tasting and you need less quantity than if you use fresh.

>I'm baffled, maybe it has to grow
>for a certain time before it matures??

Yes, like runner beans for example! You need to have a bit of patience. A few weeks or months is typically needed for any plant or vegetable to mature, of course.

Regards
George

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:04 AM »
I grew some fenugreek sprouts a few years back
Dead easy to grow as well, they were used in a mixed salad
There was a bit of a side effect though
They make you have an body smell of curry
It was really strong
It's not like garlic, it is more like curry powder

Offline pdtnc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:08 PM »
wooo...  we must have a go at this, i could use some fenugreek leaves :)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Especially dedicated to all you ambitious Fenugreek growers (as well as users), I think this may be worthy of a post.  ::)

Not just a spice - Fenugreek is a powerful drug and has a very long history of medicinal use (as well as others).

Fenugreek seeds are a rich source of the polysaccharide galactomannan. They are also a source of saponins such as diosgenin, yamogenin, gitogenin, tigogenin, and neotigogens. Other bioactive constituents of fenugreek include mucilage, volatile oils, and alkaloids such as choline and trigonelline.

Use with caution

Fenugreek is in the same family as peanuts and chickpeas, and may cause an allergic reaction in susceptible individuals.

Fenugreek reduces blood glucose levels, and in the few studies using it as a hypoglycemic, also reduces blood cholesterol. If you're diabetic (IDDM), use fenugreek only if you have good control of your blood glucose levels.

Mothers with hypoglycemia should also use fenugreek with caution.

Fenugreek is often cited as a natural remedy for asthma. However, inhalation of the powder can cause asthma and allergic symptoms. Some have reported that it worsened their asthma symptoms.

Fenugreek is considered to be an emmenagogue (promotes menstrual flow). Use fenugreek with caution if you have a history of abnormal menstrual cycles.

Fenugreek is often cited as a natural remedy for migraines. However, it may trigger a migraine and/or contribute to the duration and severity of a migraine.

Fenugreek is commonly reported to lower blood pressure and LDL blood cholesterol levels. However, it may cause or contribute to hypertension (high blood pressure)? Some recommend avoiding this herb if you have a history of hypertension, or if there is a strong family history of hypertension or heart disease.

Other Side Effects

Side effects of fenugreek include diarrhea and gas or flatulence, which usually subside after a few days of use (so does Vindaloo!).

Women of childbearing age should be cautioned that fenugreek may cause uterine contractions and thus cause problems with pregnancy. Pregnant women should not take fenugreek for this reason. Also, allergic reactions have been reported, including runny nose, wheezing and facial swelling.

........ and not a lot of people knew that!

SnS  ;D

Final warning: Please discontinue use if patient experiences any unusual symptoms ... such as death!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:53 PM by smokenspices »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Final warning: Please discontinue use if patient experiences any unusual symptoms ... such as death!
Who would have thought eh? 8)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 10:03 PM »
wooo...  we must have a go at this, i could use some fenugreek leaves :)

Me too! My trial has started...

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:13 PM »
How many days old are these George?

Did you plant the seeds directly into the compost or get them to sprout first. Only reason I ask is that I've just started some today (on wet tissue) and I was wondering whether to plant them tomorrow or leave them to shoot first.

Regards

SnS  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes