Author Topic: Curry meets and that......lol  (Read 7289 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Curry meets and that......lol
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Having read the suggestions thread, my interest is piqued :)

I'm wondering how many members would turn up for a curry meet if one were arranged.

Would you go? If so, how far would you be willing to travel - would it have to be local to you?

I'm assuming that bookings would have to be made as it could get awkward if a mob of twenty (or more?!?) curry-mad freaks crash an unwarned restaurant  :o ;D

I'm not saying I'd go to one meself, before anyone gets scared ::)

I'm just wondering how many of you are erm......."up-for-it" 8) :P

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Curry meets and that......lol
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:59 AM »
We have had these suggestions before and it's always a case of too far to travel for most people, I think there is interest but difficult to find somewhere to suit everyone  :-\

If your supposed to be me does that mean I'm replying to myself  ;)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:22 AM »
We have had these suggestions before and it's always a case of too far to travel for most people, I think there is interest but difficult to find somewhere to suit everyone 

CK

Thank you to responding to my suggestion that I might be able to invite members round to my place after I build a tandoor. But I don't think anyone else even commented, so I was hardly trampled over in the rush for people to register an interest!  I'm not sure of the reason why the idea of get-togethers may not appeal. Perhaps it's to do with people preferring to remain anonymous. I don't know. I wouldn't have thought travel distance was the main deterrent, but I could be wrong.

Regards
George

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:11 PM »

If your supposed to be me does that mean I'm replying to myself  ;)

PMSL...well if you are me that would explain why my hubby's been looking at me a bit strangely lately :o although I hope that you're not the reason he's been slightly more amorous than usual :-X Please don't tell me he's after your erm...... plums and not my *mangoes" :'( :P Don't worry about talking to yourself luv, it's a sign of old age, you only need to worry when you start losing arguments against yourself (or so my trick cyclist says.. ??? ::) ;D

If distance were to be a problem for a forum-wide meet, then how about lots of smaller, more localised meets? I'm "oop norf" in Yorkshire, but I'd be happy to travel to Leeds, Bradford, Dewsbury, Barnsley etc etc but any "darn sarf" meets would be out for me. Any meets I did go to I would have to take my hubby ::) but then again, I'm confused, because if I am Curry King, wouldn't that mean I'd have to take my wife....I mean, his wife....oh damn! I'd better go and take another valium :'( No wonder I had problems putting me bra on this morning ??? :-X

Maybe a thread asking where members are actually from may be a good start...there would be no point organising a meet in the Orkneys if there's only one member from that locale.
CK

Thank you to responding to my suggestion that I might be able to invite members round to my place after I build a tandoor. But I don't think anyone else even commented, so I was hardly trampled over in the rush for people to register an interest!  I'm not sure of the reason why the idea of get-togethers may not appeal. Perhaps it's to do with people preferring to remain anonymous. I don't know. I wouldn't have thought travel distance was the main deterrent, but I could be wrong.

Regards
George

Hi George :)

Maybe people didn't take your offer as a serious one? or maybe, as you say, people are reticent regarding the loss of anonymity, although even if you do turn up to a meet, it doesn't mean that you have to give away any more details about yourself than you would wish to.... :-\

I like the idea of meets, not because I need my social circle to be widened/enhanced, and not because I'm nosey, it would just be good I think to9 thrash out in person (and over a tasty or not so tasty dish :P) about what is and what is not a good curry ;D I know we all have differing ideas ::) and we could get a better idea via thumbs up and thumbs down in the restaurant reviews section, or maybe a kind of CR0 curry guide designed by members for members :D.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 02:24 PM »
Yeah, it would be banter... especially with plenty beer 8) but the distance is the issue for me up here in Edinburgh...

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 02:36 PM »
But would you be willing to go to an Edinburgh meet if enough members from that area are up for it Bobby?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:38 PM »
There is, or was, a member map somewhere on the forum, may have been lost amongst all the changes.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:28 PM »
I haven't seen the member map for some time although I did add myself to it not long after I joined the forum so maybe it's been lost through the anals  :o sorry annals of time. ;)

How about a poll to judge interest in curry meets where members can post their general locations and whether or not they'd like to attend a CR0 curry night might be more appropriate? If I remember rightly there were some replies in the member map thread from members who couldn't get the map to display for them.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 03:48 PM »
But would you be willing to go to an Edinburgh meet if enough members from that area are up for it Bobby?
For sure. Let you all taste my brilliant curry! ;D Seriously though, it could be banter.

I suppose the only thing is that since we don't actually know fellow posters in real life, any of them could be serial killers, raging paedophiles or just ****holes. That said, there's safety in numbers anyone not enjoying themself would soon leave.

I think that the people who are up for it are likely to be pretty cool and there are some dishes (particularly a couple of CA's ones from the images) that I'd really like to try. I am also very curious on how other peoples results on the same recipes come out.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 04:01 PM »
I agree with you on the banter side too...I think more people might be interested if there was a bit more conversation on the board of a more light-hearted, non-curry-related aspect, I mean, we all know we like curries, but after that we know nothing of one another. Obviously meets would have to be at a designated public meeting place as I would not advocate anyone inviting a group of complete strangers into their homes because, as you say "any of them could be serial killers, raging paedophiles or just ****holes." I know I don't qualify for the first two groups but I'm not big-headed enough to say that I don't fit into the ****holes category ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes