Author Topic: Pat Chapman's Onion Bhaji  (Read 9667 times)

Offline Astronick

• Chef
    • View Profile
Pat Chapman's Onion Bhaji
« on: March 09, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Hi there!  :)

In Pat Chapman's 'New Curry Bible' (which I'm quite aware is pretty identical to the 'old' one!) he has two recipes for onion bhajis - one using a traditional batter and one using what he calls typical restaurant batter.

I had a go last night at the trad one simply because the list of ingredients was twice as long and sounded more interesting:

• 85 g gram flour
    2 garlic cloves chopped
    1 tbs curry masala - his own 15 spice version
    1 tbs lemon juice
    1 tsp garam masala - again he has his own version
    1/2 tsp lovage seeds
    1/2 tsp roasted cummin seeds
    1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
    1 tbs chopped fresh mint
    2 tbs chopped fresh coriander leaves
    1 tsp aromatic salt - you guessed it Pat has his own version here too!

I also added 4 tbs of natural yoghurt which is actually in his 'restaurant version'.

The results were very good indeed.  :)

I was really pleased. I served the bhajis on a bed of rocket with a wedge of lemon and a goodly helping of CA's mint raita.

I know some people are not Pat Chapman fans but I have to say this is a recipe worth trying.

Incidently the instructions are the same as for pretty much all bhajis:
    - Mix all ingredients together (except onion) & add water till you get a thick batter that drops sluggishly off the spoon.
    - Mix in the onion and leave for 10 mins.
    - Scoop out an eighth of the mixture & place carefully in the oil - repeat for the rest of mixture (allowing 15 secs between each scoop so the oil keeps it's temperature).
    - Fry for 10 mins then remove from oil and drain on kitchen towel.

ENJOY  ;D

All the best,

Astronick  8)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pat Chapman's Onion Bhaji
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:03 PM »
how much Onion?

can they be shallow fried?

Offline Astronick

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:21 AM »
Dear Chris,

Hi! Yeah .. onion ...sorry, that's kind of important in an onion bhaji isn't it!!! ;D

The recipe calls for 225 g (8 oz) onion, chopped into fine 2.5 cm (1 inch) strips plus obviously lots of oil for deep frying.

I wouldn't have thought they can be shallowed fried. You seem to need the mixture immersed in hot oil so as to cook them evenly. Somebody else might know different however?

They do taste the real deal.  ;D

Worth a try.

All the best,

Astronick  :)

Offline issiemc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:15 AM »
Has anyone tried plain flour for Bhajee's :-\
I am having real problems sourcing Gram Flour here in France! and I am down to my last packet brought from the UK.
Also, how does the restaurants keep them hot, so that you can cook more, I put my last lot in the Oven on very low and they came out to to crispy?
 ::)

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Also, how does the restaurants keep them hot, so that you can cook more, I put my last lot in the Oven on very low and they came out to to crispy?

They are likely to partially fry them and then refry them to order issiemc.  This will also ensure that they are cooked on the inside and crispy on the outside.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Hi issiemc ;)

You can substitute plain flour for gram flour, but it doesn't have that same slightly savoury/nutty taste.....I've never used plain flour though as gram flour is extremely easy to get a hold of. :)

Here's a link to a French forum with someone asking the same question, hope it helps ;)

http://totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39496

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 06:25 PM »
I am having real problems sourcing Gram Flour here in France!

I know it's a bit of a faff but, you can grind your own, just get a pack of dried chick peas and grind away. You should have no problem getting dried chickpeas because France has a large Moroccan/African population and they use them a lot.

Offline rachel

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Has anyone tried plain flour for Bhajee's :-\
I am having real problems sourcing Gram Flour here in France! and I am down to my last packet brought from the UK.
 ::)
Hi I am living in S West France-sorry can't help with query re flour, but I usually make a large amount of bhaji's, freeze them and then defrost and reheat in the oven on a low temperature or under the grill.Try reheating them wrapped in foil if you don't like them too crispy

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 10:49 AM »
Hi! Yeah .. onion ...sorry, that's kind of important in an onion bhaji isn't it!!! ;D

I agree. Could you please edit/update your original post to reflect any errors and ommissions. Otherwise, as with too many recipes at this forum, one has to trawl through every post to obtain information which should ideally be there in the original post.

Offline issiemc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Sorry guy's I have never tried Pakora's with Plain Flour. :-\
I did struggle to find Gram Flour here in my part of France, but now one of our local English shops brings it back for me and also any other spices I cannot get.
To be honest I wouldn't think that it would make all that much difference, because of the spices added. I make a batter for scallops with plain flour. Might give it a try tonight and let you all know.
But do remember to DOUBLE FRY your Pakora or Bhaji's it really does make them crisp. ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes