3 tbs Lemon Juice
2 chopped Chilli's
5 Sprigs finely chopped Fresh Coriander
and just enough very cold water to make a PASTE, not a batter

Just mix the above ingredients and made a paste
Mix well and allow to stand for 30 mins
Dip slices of veg into the paste and deep fry until Golden Brown

Any veg you want, Onions/Potato/aubergine/courgette
Just slice thinly dip in the paste and then put only a few into the HOT OIL 190c,
take them out and keep warm until needed, or like in our house they are eaten straight away, lovely dipped in Tomato & Coriander Chutney ;D

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pakora
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Interesting with the Cardamom seeds - is that not a little overpowering in there? Not a spice I would imagine in Pakora  :)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Also... Is this an usual english way of making Pakora? In scotland pakora is made like Bhajis where everything is chopped up in small pieces  - peas, potato, green pepper and other veg etc. But a few times I ordered pakora in england it was whole pieces veg battered and fried which was strange to me.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:42 PM »
What! England doing things differently to Scotland? That's got to be a first. :)

I think you're right though, all the pakoras I've had are battered whole pieces.

Oh, and cardamom seeds, I just love 'em in pilau rice. It started with me using whole pods slightly split, and a few broke out of their pod, I chomped down on one, and now I just add 'em as seeds 'cos I likes 'em.

Offline issiemc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 08:21 PM »
In the curry city of the North *Bradford* where all my recipes come from.

Our Pakora's are always a slice of either onion or Potato dipped in the Paste then fried

The only thing that is chopped up small is things to stuff into Samosa's

I was in Goa two years ago and their Pakora where the same a slice then fried.

The Cardamom seed adds the extra taste and this was added to the one's in Goa, I like them so have started adding them to the ones I make.

I find curries from Bradford a lot more spicy than any I have ever had in Scotland, (used to work in Glasgow) or in France (where I now live), but I think this must be peoples preference, hence I usually have a curry night each week for friends.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Thanks Issiemc ;)

This recipe also works well with chicken tikka made using Blade's tikka recipe....delicious!

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 07:13 PM »
hi guys/gls
just a bit of trivia about green cardamoms pods
they are used in india to freshen the breath like we chew chewing gum after eating spicy food. and as many of you will also know an ingredient in ice cream. the girl from the indian restaurant in ramsays kitchen nightmares was chewing one when gordon returned to the restaurant the first thing he said as he got in the door was "still chewing gum then " she said "its a cardamom" it made me chuckle as he was taken aback and sort of looking for the whole to swallow him up ;)

regards
gary

©2024 Curry Recipes