Author Topic: UB's Base Chicken  (Read 9850 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
UB's Base Chicken
« on: March 14, 2008, 06:08 PM »
UB'S BASE CHICKEN

1 KG CHICKEN BREAST CUBED
1 LT COLD WATER
5 CLOVES
4 CARDAMOMS
4 INDIAN BAY LEAVES
1 STAR ANISE
1 TSP RAJAH CHICKEN SEASONING
0.5 TSP TURMERIC

METHOD

ADD TO PAN 1 LT COLD WATER, CLOVES, CARDAMOMS, BAY LEAVES, ANISE, SEASONING, TURMERIC AND BRING TO BOIL - ADD CHICKEN AND MORE WATER TO COVER CHICKEN -  BRING BACK TO THE BOIL AND SIMMER UNTIL CHICKEN IS COOKED, REMOVE CHICKEN FROM WATER AND WHOLE SPICES. READY.

NOTES:

LT = LITER
TSP = TEASPOON
TSP = 5ML
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:28 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: UB'S BASE CHICKEN
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:52 PM »
How do you feel that this compares against simply using water?

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 08:44 PM »
How do you feel that this compares against simply using water?

There is no comparison - plain boiled just doesn't deliver for me, i would say its a must... a good base chicken is just as important as a good base gravy for me.

I cant edit the original post now but i would simmer whole spices once brought to boil for a few minutes before adding chicken :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:08 PM by UNCLEBUCK »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:08 PM »
I tried this recipe for precooked chicken, but I found the cardamon taste too strong in the finished chicken (I think it was the cardamon, anyway).

I've also tried the simple boil-in-water method (like Darth's) but the chicken is a little bland in the final curry.

My usual way is to quick fry it in a few TBL's of base.

UB - why do you say this is a "must"? I was thinking about trying out your base and madras recipe, after great results with your naan and positive comments on your curries.

Cheers,
J

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:55 AM »
UB - why do you say this is a "must"

To me the main dish loses its magic if i dont use base chicken. if i was to put it in order

1. base chicken
2. pre-seal with base gravy
3. plain boiled
4. raw chicken (i never do this)

:) UB.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:14 AM by UNCLEBUCK »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 04:29 PM »
I tried something similar (I didn't have the recipe to hand but could remember the principle) and what a difference. I was completely happy with the Darth method but in hindsight it is seriously lacking.

My girlfriend who loves my curry (and has a great sense of taste/smell for these kind of things) said 'Oohhh, this curry is REALLY good, there's a new taste in it, that tastes sooooo good', or something fairly similar. That means you know it's good! ;D

I highly recommend this kind of method. Next time I'll use this recipe and report back.

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Hi UB, just been reading the rave reviews about your Madras.  Can you clarify that the kilo of chicken in your chicken base is used in a curry and the liquid is saved for use in other recipes.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Hi UB, just been reading the rave reviews about your Madras.  Can you clarify that the kilo of chicken in your chicken base is used in a curry and the liquid is saved for use in other recipes.

Hi lorrydoo, yeah it is used in the main madras recipe you will get about 6 dishes out of it, however if you do not need that much you can adjust the amount of chicken i think thats what BB done. (one portion of base chicken does not equal 1kg base chicken).

I have not used the left over water because the base gravy is quite aromatic already. hope that makes sense. UB.

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 05:48 PM »
Thanks  for your reply UB.  Do you remove the chicken from the water and spices so you are left with just the pieces of chicken and discard the liquid?

Thanks.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Thanks  for your reply UB.  Do you remove the chicken from the water and spices so you are left with just the pieces of chicken and discard the liquid?

Thanks.

yes mate spot on.

©2024 Curry Recipes