Author Topic: UB's Naan Bread v2  (Read 37943 times)

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: UB'S NAAN BREAD V2
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 03:42 PM »
That's the finest looking naan I've seen yet! Do they taste & feel like the real deal?

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 04:04 PM »
That's the finest looking naan I've seen yet! Do they taste & feel like the real deal?

Thanks Davy,
Yeah they taste, look, feel like the real deal IMHO, but it dose take practice get em too thick and they can go a bit stodgy and you dont get good air/blisters.. I make em all the time now do a batch load and freeze them.  :)

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 11:07 AM »
I had to last night!  ;D  I couldn't resist!  ;D I knocked up a batch and they are the business. As good as my local TA. I think I would add a bit more salt and I omitted the sugar and yeast but the smell, the texture was all there. One more thing for those that want them to be like the absolute exact. Once cooked wrap them in tin foil and keep warm in a tea towel or something. They come out same as a TA delivery. This would explain why your restaurant ones are slightly crispier as you get them straight off the hob! Such a simple thing that I have over looked when making is to just flip em over never mind the grill!! As UB says Griddle or Tava up full plenty of heat before dropping them on. The dough mix as well wet and sticky almost but not quite bordering on a batter! Im afraid I blasphemed though and used a rolling pin as the dough went every direction but where I wanted it to. More Practice me thinks!! Once again though your right they would be better without being rolled as you get the unevenness. Your are genius sir!!! ;D Cory if you are reading this or SG promote this man!!! :D     

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 04:27 PM »
I had to last night!  ;D  I couldn't resist!  ;D I knocked up a batch and they are the business. As good as my local TA. I think I would add a bit more salt and I omitted the sugar and yeast but the smell, the texture was all there. One more thing for those that want them to be like the absolute exact. Once cooked wrap them in tin foil and keep warm in a tea towel or something. They come out same as a TA delivery. This would explain why your restaurant ones are slightly crispier as you get them straight off the hob! Such a simple thing that I have over looked when making is to just flip em over never mind the grill!! As UB says Griddle or Tava up full plenty of heat before dropping them on. The dough mix as well wet and sticky almost but not quite bordering on a batter! Im afraid I blasphemed though and used a rolling pin as the dough went every direction but where I wanted it to. More Practice me thinks!! Once again though your right they would be better without being rolled as you get the unevenness. Your are genius sir!!! ;D Cory if you are reading this or SG promote this man!!! :D     

;D PMPL ;D

Thanks for the feed back. Glad you enjoyed them!

Offline Liam

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 05:23 PM »
Great looking nans, though if you don't have all the kit i.e. a tandoor et al, I find that pre heating a heavy based frying pan or griddle and at the same time pre heating the grill.  Drop the nan on the frying pan and when the blisters start to appear get the pan and pop it under the grill, the top of the bread puffs up a treat, I suppose it sort of replicates the conditions found inside the tandoor, with direct heat contacing the back of the bread and high radiated heat acting on the top of the bread, go on try it you'll like it  ;D

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 09:52 PM »
Great looking nans, though if you don't have all the kit i.e. a tandoor et al, I find that pre heating a heavy based frying pan or griddle and at the same time pre heating the grill.  Drop the nan on the frying pan and when the blisters start to appear get the pan and pop it under the grill, the top of the bread puffs up a treat, I suppose it sort of replicates the conditions found inside the tandoor, with direct heat contacing the back of the bread and high radiated heat acting on the top of the bread, go on try it you'll like it  ;D

Hi Liam, i cant argue with that, BTW welcome to the forum!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 07:39 PM »
UB,

you've got something definitely very special here.

i must admit i was a bit sceptical (i make bread a lot and did not like the liquid ratio - sticky as u say).

what i failed to realise is there is no need to knead this dough even if u put yeast in as i did. just enough flour to get it into a ball.

i must admit i did not mess about with the intricacies either - i dump all the powders in my bowl followed by the liquids. i left the egg out but know its better with than without.

i'm not sure on the cup size and converted 1 cup as 8oz.

sceptic no 2 - the pat a cake trick - i thought the liquid ratio would make rolling pin hardwork so thought i would give your trick a go.

wow! i could almost picture myself in a BIR chucking the naans back and fro. i did struggle to get the edge thickness down (and cheated with the rolling pin).

these naans flew off the plate much faster than normal (and much faster than i could chuck them around). for me i going to try using all plain flour as i think the self raising gives a bit of a taste (can't describe it).

simple the best i've cooked and don't see them getting much better than this. ;D

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 09:15 PM »
UB,

you've got something definitely very special here.

i must admit i was a bit sceptical (i make bread a lot and did not like the liquid ratio - sticky as u say).

what i failed to realise is there is no need to knead this dough even if u put yeast in as i did. just enough flour to get it into a ball.

i must admit i did not mess about with the intricacies either - i dump all the powders in my bowl followed by the liquids. i left the egg out but know its better with than without.

i'm not sure on the cup size and converted 1 cup as 8oz.

sceptic no 2 - the pat a cake trick - i thought the liquid ratio would make rolling pin hardwork so thought i would give your trick a go.

wow! i could almost picture myself in a BIR chucking the naans back and fro. i did struggle to get the edge thickness down (and cheated with the rolling pin).

these naans flew off the plate much faster than normal (and much faster than i could chuck them around).

simple the best i've cooked and don't see them getting much better than this. ;D

Im glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback  :)

for me i going to try using all plain flour as i think the self raising gives a bit of a taste (can't describe it).
I have to agree

please let know how you get on with all plain flour... I have left it out once myself but they just didnt get light enough? but that may be down to technique but I'm still unsure.. Ive left SR flour in the recipe as i think it makes it a bit easier for us amateurs using hobs (except haldi who's got a tandoor)  ;D

Thanks UB.  ;)

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 01:33 PM »
I added a bit more salt second time round, but forgot to put in the baking powder DOH! :P Third time round I tried the yeast but they were too light compared to what I am used to. I recon if I had added more salt first time round they would have been bang on for my local anyway. I think any difference would only come with a tandoor or pizza oven but for all the difference, I will stick to this method and maybe fork out ?40 for a decent griddle in the future.  ;D

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 01:37 PM »
I forgot to mention. I picked this excellent tip up off Manjulas website on You Tube. Instead of flouring your worktop or chopping board put the flour in large basin and just dip the dough in both sides and roll as normal. Far less mess all round. Your missus will love you for it too!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes