Author Topic: UB's Naan Bread v2  (Read 37972 times)

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: UB's Naan Bread v2
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Thanks JerryM. I only bought the tava yesterday, it was a cheap aluminium one from Appna in Dewsbury. As you say, I must have had it way too hot. I'm going to try again today and see how it goes  8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2010, 09:03 AM »
nai,

i thought about u the other day. i ended up with a real sticky batch of dough (must have messed up using the scales) - i ended up adding quite a bit of flour to recover.

the reason for the post was that the naans actually turned out on par with the best that i make. the important thing is to get a "light" dough that's just workable. by light u will know as dough is heavy when fully workable - the best i can describe is a bit like a cake mix. i use 66% liquid to flour ie 300ml to 455g.

i realise u've adopted CA's naan recipe and that's fine.

ps i left out the salt for the 1st time and saw no difference.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2010, 06:07 PM »
just made some of these and they came out great its not so much the recipe i added coriander  and onion seeds the the mix , its more cooking them in a dry pan on the stove as to doing them in the oven which in the past i have found dries them out, they have a nice flavour and even get  little burnt patches that give it the tandor oven flavour definitely recommend cooking them this way

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2010, 08:47 AM »
its more cooking them in a dry pan on the stove

jamieb728,

totally agree - i have a heavy cast iron frying pan - i don't think the result would be the same in a thin frying pan (omelet pan). u've also got to get that balance of the amount of liquid right. i've just started using frozen yogurt (instead of just milk & water) and it's taking me a while to tweak the proportions (fresh yogurt needs more liquid , frozen yogurt needs less).

they've got to be within a certain thickness - if u get them too thick (say more than 5mm) they won't cook out properly.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2010, 08:57 AM »
1 other thing i found making these nans i never rolled them out i used my hands and tossed them back and forth this seams to keep more air in them than if you roll them out and push all the air out this makes them much lighter

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2010, 09:33 AM »
jamieb728,

well impressed. i did start out the same using the pat a cake trick  as i call it from the off but soon fell into bad practise - i part roll them out ~75% then pat a cake.

i know that what u say is exactly right though - will for sure make them much lighter.

school report for me - must (will) try harder

all the best,

jerry

©2024 Curry Recipes