Author Topic: luchi (poori) deep- fried bread  (Read 3524 times)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
luchi (poori) deep- fried bread
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:53 PM »
this is a recipe from the calcutta kitchenwhich was given to me by a friend. it is abit like floyd going round the med but this guy goes on a tour round his home state. this is the quote for luchis/pooris(remenising)

"luchi is referred to as a poori in other parts of india. well-made luchisgo down so rapidly that often you would be embarassed to count how many you had eaten! as a child i would love to poke a hole in a hot luchi and watch the smoke swirl out as it cooled. bengalis enjoy luchis with cholar dal(yellow gram with crunchy cocnut)"

ingredients -makes 12

250g(9oz) plain flour
salt
2tsp vegetable oil
about 175ml(6fl oz) tepid water
vegetable oil for deep frying

1) to make the dough, sift the flour into a mixing bowland add a little saltto taste. rub in the oil and add the water gradually and cautiously. knead to a malleable but firm dough. cover with a moist clot hand rest for 15 minutes.

2)divide the dough into 12 equal balls. heat the oil in a karai or heavy wok to smoking point, then slightly reduce the heat to maintain optimum temperature. roll out the balls of dough very thinly on a lightly floured or oiled surface. fry one luchi at a time quickly, flipping over in about 30 seconds. carefully splash hot oil on to the bread and watch it balloon. remove from the oil and drain. fry them all and enjoy them hot.(luchis connot be reheated back to their original fluffiness or crispiness.)

so all you have to do is cook the curry to top it as you would get in you local restaurant, patia/ bhuna or as the man says eat hot with a dip of your choice
i will try to post some more recipes some may get away with being posted in the bir sections but many will be authentic.
regards
gary

there is a recipe for shingara (fried pastry triangles with a savoury filling)
or......?

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: luchi (poori) deep- fried bread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Hi Gary great post, is poori the same as puri? only asking as Ive seen BIR's do a starter dish called chicken puri and ive been looking for a recipe
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 04:49 PM by unclebuck »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:27 PM »
These are pooris/puris UB

They get served with a variety of dishes :)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 04:17 PM »
thanks domi, seems there the same but the ones ive seen seem to be flat rather then puffy?

click me

unclebuck was here
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:40 PM by unclebuck »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:28 PM »
I think that's because they break the tops to put the filling in luv, still same thing though :) sometimes they come filled or with the filling as a side....one of my mates always gets them with a lentil dish for a starter.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:45 PM »
cool looks like ill be given this a try. cheers UB  :D

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 07:14 PM »
yes they are the same, great photo! they are also called (in the curry secret) as bhattori, its the same with nan/naan/nin/etc...bhuna/buna jalfrezi/jhalfrazee it depends where you are the regional differences.

regards
gary

©2024 Curry Recipes