Author Topic: How to Post  (Read 24710 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
How to Post
« on: March 24, 2008, 09:06 PM »

This post is to assist new members in making their first post  ;D  ..... to post you must log in.

Please do not post here as this thread is for information only.

All posts can be spell-checked and previewed before you send so you can see exactly how your post will appear.

Nothing is sent until you click the 'POST' button. Use you browser 'back' button to escape at anytime.

If you do make a mistake you can still edit your post for a short period after you've posted on the forum.

1) To post a comment in the topic that you are viewing (REPLY)

At the top and bottom of the page there is a button marked REPLY (as shown on this page). Click on this and you will enter into the 'post reply' screen.

Your completed post will appear at the end of that topic.

2) To post a comment to a specific post within the topic that you are viewing (QUOTE)

Click the button marked QUOTE situated top-right of the individual post you wish to reply to (as shown on this page). You will enter into the 'post reply' screen.

A copy of the member's post you are responding to will now be included (quoted) with your post and already appears in the text box. You should add you own text below this. Your completed post (with quoted text in a blue box) will appear at the end of that topic.

3) To start a new topic (thread) within a particular section you are viewing (NEW TOPIC)

In the particular section you wish to start your new topic, at the top and bottom of the page there is a button marked NEW TOPIC (NOT shown on this page as you cannot post a new topic into an existing topic). Click on this and you will enter into the 'start new topic' screen.

If you are starting a new topic, also enter an appropriate title in the "subject" box (this could be a simple "Hello" as many have already done in this particular section).

Your post will appear at the beginning of your new topic in the chosen section.

----------------

For the above posting options, the text editing screens are very similar. You enter your text into the large white text editing box. There are some icons above the text box so you can modify your text, add smileys etc, this is for simple effect but is not compulsory. Generally these effects are only used to highlight or emphasise a particular word or sentence or in the case of Smileys, to add some emotion to your post.

;D   Not compulsory ..... Not compulsory ..... Not compulsory ...... Not compulsory ..... Not compulsory  :o

----------------

For a REPLY to a topic (1 above), the new text box will be empty. Simply type in your message and then click on 'Preview' or 'Post' as explained below.

For a QUOTED reply (2 above), the text box will contain quoted text from the post you are responding to. Their text will be enclosed within coded instructions like this:-

"quote author=xxxx link=topic=1234.msg20000#msg20000 date=1202415126]"

In your text box, quoted text content is shown between the two quote codes (it won't normally be in blue)

"[/quote]"

Your text goes here

If you want to remove some of the quoted text so that only the text you are actually responding to remains, delete as you would with any other text editor, but don't delete either of the two "quote" codes, otherwise there will be no blue box or the box will cover all the text (including yours).

----------------
To Preview and Spell Check your post

If you now click the "Preview" button (marked "Preview" between the "Post" and "Spell Check" buttons), you get a preview of your post in a preview window which now appears above the 'post reply' window. Quoted text should now be shown in a blue box like this :-

Quoted text content should now appear here

Your text appears here - hopefully

You can preview as many times as you like before finally posting.

If you like the preview, then click on "Spell Check". This will open another window which highlights spelling mistakes and typing errors. You may need to use the scroll bar to bring the buttons into view. Mistakes can now can be "ignored" or "changed" as you wish.

It is not necessary to change spelling mistakes within the quoted section (blue box), as these are not your mistakes.

When the spell check is complete, and "Spell Check Complete" appears, click "OK"

Now you can click on "POST" which then sends your carefully composed posting down the tubes.

For a short period after posting, you can still edit your post. The edit button is situated bottom right of your displayed post.

----------------

Please note:

a) Fractions and the Pounds Sterling sign will not display correctly (?) despite previewing correctly. Please use either standard numerical font (1/2 tsp) or preferably decimal (0.5 tsp). Use what you like for the squid (but not Euro's).

b) 'Additional Options' is used mainly for sending photos, and is not covered here.

If in doubt - please shout!

More in-depth instructions here:-

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?action=help;page=post

Regards

SnS  ;D

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:48 PM by smokenspices »

Offline Lambie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How to Post
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Hi

I was searching through websites trying to find how many black cardamoms to put into a curry as I've never used them before and found a link to this site.

I have been trying to make curries for years but I can never achieve the taste and especially the depth of flavour found in a good restaurant curry.

I haven't had a good look around the site yet, there is so much to read but hopefully I will be able to pick up lots of hints and tips which should help to satisfy our curry craving.

Lambie

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Welcome to Lambie
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:41 PM »

Offline methi

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Greetings from California!

I`m a Brit residing in San Francisco, that having been away for many years got tired of the diluted versions of over-sauced curries served in Indian restaurants in the States. Looking forward to trying some of your recipes aswell as sharing mine with you! Feel free to contact me if you`re ever in SF for all things curry!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 01:01 AM »
Welcome to CR0.  Won't be long before you'll be cooking those BIR dishes that you remember from the UK.  Maybe you'll teach those in SF how it should be done  properly  ;D

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Welcome to CR0

Ive many fond memories of SF, does the jungle guy still jump out at people on the street in the Wharf area?
Paul

Offline yasminhuskie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Hi Lambie, black cardomoms are for adding flavour to rice. I usually use 2 or 3 per family meal. The  green are for currys. used whole or ground. crack open to release the flavour. I use a pestle and morter. x

I was searching through websites trying to find how many black cardamoms to put into a curry as I've never used them before and found a link to this site.

I have been trying to make curries for years but I can never achieve the taste and especially the depth of flavour found in a good restaurant curry.

I haven't had a good look around the site yet, there is so much to read but hopefully I will be able to pick up lots of hints and tips which should help to satisfy our curry craving.

Lambie

Offline demolition dave

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:39 PM »
hi , just joined as a new member, can anyone help please ?

question - how many tespoons in a chefs spoon ?

Dave

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Hi DD and welcome.  The average size chef's spoon holds between 2.5 to 3 tbsp. That works out at 7.5 - 9 tsp.  There are some large chef spoons that hold 4 tbsp though but i believe the smaller one is the more common of the two, and can be seen in many of the videos on the site.

Offline Chrisdocknowsbest

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Hi there,
Just introducing myself, I am a newbie to cooking curries so please forgive me at the moment for not sharing experiences till I've had more practice "good or bad". Hope to pick up some good practical knowledge off you guys.

©2024 Curry Recipes