Author Topic: My Plants.  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
My Plants.
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Out all my pots I have only got something from the mustard seeds.

Coriander - nothing
Basil - nothing
Fennel - nothing
Fenugreek - nothing
Cayenne Chili - nothing

Even the mustard seedlings are struggling.... when in my boiler cupboard
it is really hot and moist and they are shooting well, but I think they are
begging for some light on their leaves now, but when I bring them out into
the Grey Glasgow sunlight they just start to shrivel up so they go back into
the boiler cupboard where they are growing ok again but the leaves are looking
small and tired.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: My Plants.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 03:56 PM »
Hi Chris

Ever thought of becoming a gardener?  ;)

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:24 AM »
Ever thought of becoming a gardener?  ;)

Yes, Chris, I fear you may be getting some of the fundamentals wrong. I sometimes use the airing cupboard to provide heat for germination when the seeds are underground and don't expect any light, anyhow. But once any plants sprout above the surface, they should never be put back inside a dark airing cupboard, other than at night perhaps, i.e. if you have the time and space to keep moving things around.

The recent photo of my fenugreek plants show they look fairly healthy, I think. They are growing in a cool room at typically 5C - 12C (i.e. cold) so they don't need great warmth. If I kept them in a heated room at, say, 20C, then they would probably grow faster. Plenty of light is more important than room temperature.

Good luck

Regards
George

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:45 AM »
Hi Chris

But once any plants sprout above the surface, they should never be put back inside a dark airing cupboard, other than at night perhaps

Absolutely right.

Okay weather should start warming up soon (in UK), so now's the time to try again.

Forget the basil (leave this until mid-May when it's a little warmer). I'm growing three different varieties of basil, but at this time of year they will require a heated propagator to guarantee germination.

Fenugreek seeds (need light & moisture to germinate, then warmth) - Soak a couple of dozen seeds overnight in a glass of water. Next day, take a small bowl and spread out a few sheets of adsorbent tissue paper in the bottom of the bowl (okay - bog roll!). Add some water to make it wet. Lay seeds on top and place on a sunny window ledge. Within a day or two you will see them sprout. Keep tissue wet. When the tails are fully developed, place them on the surface of compost (in a 5 inch pot). See here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2446.msg21197.html#msg21197
Sprinkle some fine compost over the top (1-2 mm). Place back on window ledge. Keep moist but not wet. Plenty of warmth and sun and they will produce 'Methi' leaves within a few weeks. Keep on window ledge.

Chile seeds (need heat (ideally 25C) to germinate, then light, when growing - no less than 8C) - Place 3 seeds in a small pot (2 inch) filled with damp compost. Cover with fine compost (1-2 mm). Cover with cling film. Place in airing cupboard. Check every morning (keep compost moist) and as soon as the first one has hatched, place on sunny window ledge. Germination time varies and can be anything from 5 days to 45 days, depending on chile variety. Chilies need a lot of light.

Coriander seeds (need light & moisture to germinate, then warmth) - Fill a 5 inch pot with wet compost  Sprinkle 10 - 20 FRESH seeds over the surface.  Cover with fine compost (0.5 - 1 mm). Place on a sunny window ledge in a warm room. Keep compost damp. Will hatch out in about a week. Coriander needs a lot of sunlight to grow decent leaves.

Anyone who wants to regularly grow from seed, really should consider investing in a heated windowsill propagator. They're about 35 squid from garden centres or even less from Amazon ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garland-Super-Windowsill-Seed-Propagator/dp/B000YA43HC/ref=sr_1_2/026-6319670-1945245?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1208477389&sr=1-2

Good luck.
SnS  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:24 AM by smokenspices »

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:56 PM »
mucho thanks :D

©2024 Curry Recipes