Author Topic: How can I prolong the life of my fresh Coriander?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
How can I prolong the life of my fresh Coriander?
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:32 PM »
As I'm sure most people do, I get my fresh Coriander in bloody great big bunches. This is pretty good because my local Pakistani store sells a fair whack of the stuff for well under a pound.

The thing is, it's already getting limp and is only good for a few days. Any ideas? Freezing it turns it into dark green gloop upon defrosting (which isn't that bad because it keeps the same taste, it just looks awful). I have thought about putting the bunch in a vase of water but haven't got around to that...

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How can I prolong the life of my fresh Coriander?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 03:04 AM »
Hi Bobby,

Tricky one!  You simply can't beat fresh coriander but it goes limp (and shite) pretty quickly...I've never found a way of delaying this much (the limp coriander I mean!  ;D) apart from just putting it in the fridge.  Even so, it's pretty much gone after a day or two isn't it.  I've also never had much success growing it (which would be a nice option)

Nowadays (and, reluctantly, I might add...I was once dead against it but I refuse to waste stuff anymore) I chop it (not too finely, stalks and all) and freeze it in sealable sandwich/freezer bags.  When I need some, I simply break off a chunk and throw it (still frozen) into the dish right at the end of cooking.  As you say, the flavour is fairly well preserved (albeit not perfectly). 

I think this is a reasonable compromise when fresh is not available, for whatever reason.  It also ensures that some coriander is at least aways to hand.  I do this with other herbs too (mint, basil, sage, parsley, sage, etc, etc)

A couple of things I've learnt to avoid though:

• Don't chop the coriander too finely, and definitely don't puree it.  I find the ice-cube trick doesn't work at all well, with coriander, and is anyway unnecessary.  I find it ruins it by turning it into a bitter, dark-green, goop
  • Add the frozen coriander immediately to the dish before it defrosts.  If you let it defrost (and it only takes a few minutes), it turns into a bitter, dark-green, goop
  • Also chop off and freeze the roots (but thoroughly wash the sand from between the cracks - oooer  :o).  I throw these into my curry base

Hope this helps Bobby  8)

PS:  you still aint going to be wanting to sprinkle any on top of your final dish this way!  ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Yeah, growing it would be a great option! Those little plants you get are crap aswell. The things last justa long as a fresh bunch of the stuff. Incidently I prefer the younger fresher loooking Coriander from Sainsburys to the larger bunch of more fibrous older stuff from the Pakistani store nearby. It keeps a little better.

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Putting it in a jug of water helps but only about the same as keeping in the fridge.

Offline HOTRING

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 03:12 PM »
I put the whole thing straight in the freezer & chop it from frozen for the cooking side of things then sprinkle the top of the dish with one i have growing on my window sill the live plants keep for months this way as you are only taking a little for decoration as apose to alot for cooking which kills it.
HR

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 09:08 PM »
I put the whole thing straight in the freezer & chop it from frozen for the cooking side of things then sprinkle the top of the dish with one i have growing on my window sill the live plants keep for months this way as you are only taking a little for decoration as apose to alot for cooking which kills it.
HR

Likewise. Use it straight from the freezer for cooking with (chop while frozen. No good for garnish though. As Bobby says, it wilts to a mush when defrosted.

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 07:58 AM »
Dug these out Bobby:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/cilantro.htm

"To store fresh coriander, pick out any wilted leaves, and put it in a jar with water like a bunch of flowers. Cover the leaves with a plastic bag and put the whole thing in the refrigerator. Change the water every two days or so, picking out any wilted leaves when you do"

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/jan/30/first-step-to-using-coriander-is-taking-care-to/

"slow down that decay in the refrigerator by keeping the coriander as dry and airtight as possible (markets have the nasty habit of spraying produce with water, an ideal set up for deterioration).

As soon as you get the coriander home, loosen the bunch, spread the branches out on paper towels to absorb any moisture. Roll them up and put into a plastic bag. Press out all the air, seal and refrigerate. You now have close to a week of fresh coriander"

http://www.toptipsforgirls.com/tip/3778/how_to_keep_coriander_fresh_for_a_few_days/

"An Indian friend who was a wonderful cook gave me this tip after I complained that you can't keep fresh coriander for more than a day or two even in the fridge. She told me if you put the bunch in a jug or pint glass with water and then put a polythene bag over it secured by a tight elastic band and placed in the fridge it will keep for several days without going slimy and yellow"

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf447519.tip.html

"Overall, the key for produce of any type to keep well is to treat it gently - no bruising. Yes, the papertowel wrapped around the cilantro or other green produce works well. Greens that are washed and then either gently patted with a clean towel or in a salad spinner, or whatever, to remove excess moisture then wrap in a paper towel then placed in a regular plastic grocery bag keep well. Another option is to take fresh cilantro (or parsley) and trim the bottom a quarter inch or so to expose fresh stem bottoms, then to put this in a glass of water, but do not allow leaves to dip into water, just stems. When I harvest it I cut it close to the ground to have the longest stems to put in the glass and trim a bit as stated. Cool fresh water. Clean glass. I just set this on the kitchen counter to use as needed. I do check it daily for any wilting and to trim the stems again every day or every other day, and change the water. This helps the cilantro to continue to "drink". It keeps pretty well, and is readily available. Either option works well, it does keep better in the refrig, but it fares quite well kept in a glass as described"

Hope it helps  8)

Offline The Apprentice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Yes , keep it in the fridge in water ( as like a vase of flowers - like you stated) , that's how we always kept parsley and herbs in kitchens I have worked in .

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 01:14 PM »
keep it in a brown bag in the fridge or black bag but dont let light get to it.Hope this helpswww.ifindforu.com

Offline pooboy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 05:17 AM »
It depends on what you us the coriander for but I chop some of the leaves and stalks put it in an ice tray and fill with stock or water and freeze when called for I throw the ice cube containing the coriander into the pot It seems to keep its flavor more

©2024 Curry Recipes