Author Topic: UB's Chicken Madras  (Read 15807 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
UB's Chicken Madras
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:24 PM »
UB's Chicken Madras - Hot, cooked in rich gravy

Serves One

1 Portion of UB's Base Chicken
300 ml Base gravy
2 Tbsp veg oil
1.5 Tsp spice mix
2 Tsp chili powder
0.5 Tsp Methi
1.5 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Dsp Minced Onion and Capsicum
1 Dsp Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
0.25 Tbsp Fresh Coriander

Method

Add oil to pan on medium to high heat when oil is hot add spice mix, chili powder and methi as spices start to darken add minced onion/capsicum and minced garlic if your temp is correct here the mince will spit and fizz keep stirring for a minute then add base gravy a bit at a time to keep heat in pan constant, Add Tomato Paste stir then add lemon juice stir well add base chicken simmer until meat has heated though and serve with fresh coriander.

Notes:

Spice mix

Coriander 8 parts
Turmeric 7 parts
Cumin 5 parts
Curry powder 4 parts
Paprika 4 parts

Minced Onion and Capsicum Mix: 1 medium onion to half capsicum blended with a little water.

Base gravy is best added/used just off the simmer.

Lemon is for personal taste adds a bitter kick.. My BIR leaves a fresh slice in the dish.

Methi is dry leaf kind.

Tomato paste is a mix of double concentrate tom puree and water, 40% puree to 60% water - white tower.

Salt to taste.

Base Gravy click here

UB's Base Chicken click here

Revision 20/07/08
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:47 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Tikkatrev

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: UB'S CHICKEN MADRAS
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:56 PM »
DAM IT UB! i was feeling peckish now im starving! have to say looks great im now thinking this one might be one to try for the weekend, i will need to make some more base gravy first mind ;D thanks for the recipe tt

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 05:46 PM »
UB, what would you give this /10? It seems very similar to many of the better Madras recipes I have used. I'm quite eager to try out your base sauce. I love the aromatic spices that are often left out of the base and sometimes grind up small quantitues but am sure that the little bag technique seems like a better idea.

Great post mate! It's always nice to see some effort put in! ;D

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 05:52 PM »
DAM IT UB! i was feeling peckish now im starving! have to say looks great im now thinking this one might be one to try for the weekend, i will need to make some more base gravy first mind ;D thanks for the recipe tt

Your welcome, let me know how you get on  :)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Hi BB, I wouldn't be as bold to give it a score, ill let the site users judge only because i would probably be a little biased but I'm really very happy with it ;D - friends and family give it 10/10.

a lil tip - base chicken is a must it just dosnt work with raw chicken.

Great post mate! It's always nice to see some effort put in! ;D

thanks mate.

I'm quite eager to try out your base sauce. I love the aromatic spices that are often left out of the base and sometimes grind up small quantitues but am sure that the little bag technique seems like a better idea.
Cool it'll be nice to see how a veteran gets on with it. ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Cool it'll be nice to see how a veteran gets on with it. ;)

Hahaha, don't let post count fool you, I'm just easily distracted at work! ;D

Offline Tikkatrev

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Done this to the letter last night UB(with UB base and base chicken) a wet and hot madras is right up my street and I can not believe how good this is! it something a bit special that i didn't think i would ever get close to. its got all the right notes for me, heat, aromatic smells, and taste of what i cant describe even looking at the ingredients its like and Smokey/orangery taste perhaps thats the lemon juice? anyway this recipe will now have to compete with the curry houses around here because they have just lost a customer ;D 10/10  ;D  thanks again UB, tt

ps. i really like its simplicity it took about 8mins from start to finish and faster on the second one!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:47 PM »
Hahaha, don't let post count fool you, I'm just easily distracted at work! ;D

No no, I mean you always go back to the chopping board and give honest results good or bad... So a review from a reg cr0 member is a plus ;D

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 03:37 PM »
Done this to the letter last night UB(with UB base and base chicken) a wet and hot madras is right up my street and I can not believe how good this is! it something a bit special that i didn't think i would ever get close to. its got all the right notes for me, heat, aromatic smells, and taste of what i cant describe even looking at the ingredients its like and Smokey/orangery taste perhaps thats the lemon juice? anyway this recipe will now have to compete with the curry houses around here because they have just lost a customer ;D 10/10  ;D  thanks again UB, tt

ps. i really like its simplicity it took about 8mins from start to finish and faster on the second one!

Thats prase indeed! glad you liked it.

taste of what i cant describe even looking at the ingredients its like and Smokey/orangery taste perhaps thats the lemon juice?

I sort of know what you mean, Smokey flavors is probably the methi its a pungent little herb some people say ground coriander gives a orangery flavor.. the lemon juice gives a little sour kick  :).

Thanks for the feedback. UB.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 04:00 PM »
This is very encouraging. I'm certainly gonna make this one next, with the Australian one next again. I need a larger freezer :'( Or perhaps another hobby :P

©2024 Curry Recipes