Author Topic: UB's Chicken Madras  (Read 15812 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: UB'S CHICKEN MADRAS
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 01:53 AM »
UB - tried this tonight (although with the Saffron base - I still have a ton of it) and the results were excellent. A fantastic Madras that wasn't overly oily.

In fact the stuff I've tried of yours has all turned out very well - thanks! While I love a Vindaloo or a Madras, I also like a CTM or good Korma from time to time. Any chance you have a winning formula for these?

Cheers, J

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 06:01 AM »
UB - tried this tonight (although with the Saffron base - I still have a ton of it) and the results were excellent. A fantastic Madras that wasn't overly oily.
thanks for the feed back J, glad you like it also nice to know it works well with the saffron base too  :)

In fact the stuff I've tried of yours has all turned out very well - thanks! While I love a Vindaloo or a Madras, I also like a CTM or good Korma from time to time. Any chance you have a winning formula for these?

Your welcome, I haven't got round to the CTM or Korma yet, I think the Korma is pretty strait forward  but the CTM is a tricky one to nail down they vary so much from place to place.. However i can recommend C.K's CTM HERE

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 06:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply. You're right, CK's is my current fave for CTM. IMO its 95% of what I'm used to, but still missing something. I've tried adding mango chutney syrup to no avail. Next time will try replacing the cream with evaporated milk and seeing how that does.

Seeing as you clearly know your stuff, any changes/adds/mods to the CK CTM you can think of would be appreciated!

Cheers,
J

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 06:39 AM »
... Which sort of reminds me, someone (SnS maybe?) was going to get the "CTM base" from their local, as it was apparently different from the others. Any update on that?

J

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 12:00 PM »
joshallen2k,

i use the evap milk in CK's CTM and feel it makes the difference. i think the make of tandoori masala is also crucial.  feel there are 2 types on the market - one ideal for tikka (eg rajah - dark red colour, also v.good for dry rub & bbq) and one ideal for CTM (eg Leena - pinker red colour).

on the korma i found ronnoc's spot on (i think i went 50:50 ground almond: creamed coconut).

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Thanks Jerry. For the tandoori masala, I've been making my own per the recipe on this site (forget who posted it, but I believe its referenced by CA's tikka). I don't have access to the commercial brands where I am, but rather the whole spices. How diffferent would you say the Leena is?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 10:12 AM »
joshallen2k,

use the evap milk in the ctm 1st rather than cream - i think it adds sweetness. this alone may just do it for u on the ctm front.

i had made my own curry powder & garam masala for years believing i had more control of the taste and would therefore get (eventually) a better taste. i was wrong. i still make my own garam (but probably perfected it better) but buy the rajah curry powder.

i also used to use only a tandoori marinade for making tikka but felt it lacking. hence i bought the "dark red" variety (TRS, rajah). this was significant improvement and i now use it as a dry rub for bbq as well as for tikka.

on one visit to my local shop the dark red was out of stock and assistant said "pink red" was pretty good (although not convincing) for tikka. found it was way off the mark. however when i used it in the CTM the CTM was much better (significantly).

i list the ingredients in case it may help:

dark red: coriander, salt, fenugreek, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, garlic, cumin, nutmeg, cardamom, celery, clove, ginger, bay, lemon oil, citric acid

pink red: coriander, chillies, mustard, cumin, garlic, ginger, pepper, cloves, cassia, salt

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Jerry,

Thanks again. Based on your feedback, I will replace the cream with evap milk, and look for an alternative to the "tandoori masala" in CK's CTM.

I did a quick search on the "Pink" Leena brand tandoori mix, but drew a blank on google. I will try and match the ingredient list you provided to something at my local indian grocery that is "pink" and called "tandoori"

BTW, tried the ronnoc korma yesterday with a 50:50 coconut to almond ratio - and correct, its spot on. No further research on that one necessary.

CTM remains a challenge.... CK's is the closest yet.

Cheers,
Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Joshallen2k,

no probs, agree CK's is closest. glad ronnoc's worked for u 2.

on the tandoori masala i am sure there are other brands just as good as the leena. the importance being to be aware that there are 2 different tastes out there.

have added pic in case it helps

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 12:06 PM »
Thanks Jerry. Off to the indian grocery pic in hand!

Based on the success of the ronnoc korma (coconut powder instead of block) do you still use the block in the CTM?

-- J

©2024 Curry Recipes