Author Topic: An ALL NEW curry base from Australia..  (Read 13912 times)

Offline ivangough

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: An ALL NEW curry base from Australia..
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 10:41 AM »
I'm making some base now actually. Can anyone recommend me the best recipes to turn the base into some Vindaloo, and some Madras.

Offline Tamala

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 04:05 PM »
I'm loving the texture there! Lentily! ;D

"Lumpy" is the word you're looking for bobby.  It should be smoothe, not lumpy.  I can see all sorts of lumps (garlic?) in it. 

This is one of the weirdest base recipes ive seen.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 04:10 PM »
"Lumpy" is the word you're looking for bobby.  It should be smoothe, not lumpy.  I can see all sorts of lumps (garlic?) in it. 

I'm spunky - I like my base sauce lumpy!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I think it looks mouthwatering. My favourite take away turns out Madras of that consistency and I love it. I prefer it like that than thin and watery.

Offline ivangough

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 01:51 AM »
No there's no lumps if you make it right. Just make sure you puree the mix for ages to get it smooth.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 08:11 AM »
mine was lumpy initially.

getting the cooked onion into a puree (without the liquid) is as ivan says a fairly challenging task. as i said i got round this by taking out the spices (bay, casis, cloves) at the end and then pureeing again - mine now looks v.smooth just as u need.

i like the idea of the muslin bag to help out with this.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 08:14 AM »
Can anyone recommend me the best recipes to turn the base into some Vindaloo, and some Madras.

i would go for parker21's

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1454.msg12717.html#msg12717

Offline ivangough

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 01:25 PM »
I just finished making this base again. Some tips..

I pureed the onion mix in a food processor, using one ladle full of mix at a time. I added some of the sieved onion liquid to loosen it up and help the food processor a bit. There should be no lumps in this, so if you have lumps, puree it again.

I'm now going to make some Vindaloo with this, so I'll let you know how I go. Cheers.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 07:14 PM »
3 bowls of madras curry sauce cooked - 3 empty bowls

1st was with "as spec" base, 2nd "as spec" base plus coriander seed, 3rd as 2nd plus the cashews.

all 3 testers (wife,son & myself) felt the cardamom too much in the "as spec base". the addition of coriander seed at stage 7 (8 etsp - a little too much would make it 4 etsp next time) made it spot on for us.

the addition of the cashew (would agree not essential) but did add a nice twist with a difference (banked for future).

1 of the testers thought the curry was sweeter than normal (i could not be sure so feel extra 2hrs cooking time for onions to be helpful but not essential) and i am going to adopt longer onion cooking in future.

overall spot on curry that's up their with the rest on the site. the key learning for me is that the spices & onion were as good as onion, carrot & green pepper.

there is definitely something their that i can work with to align with my onion/garlic/tomato taste buds. i do like that casia / cardamom / cinnamon spice combination - a real find

many thanks for posting  ;D ;D ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes