Author Topic: Davy's Naans with Piccy's  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Davy's Naans with Piccy's
« on: April 29, 2008, 06:09 PM »
1lb SR Flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking podwer
4 Tablespoons plain yoghurt
2 eggs
1/4 pt milk
oil for brushing

The method is easy. Mix the dry ingredients together in a basin. Mix the Milk, yoghurt and egss together in jug and beat together. I use a hand blender and pulse for around 20 seconds. Mix the wet in to the dry with a fork and then kneed for around 2 minutes with wet hands. Stand for 1/2 an hour to prove. Pull off a bit of dough remebering to oil your hands first and pop into the basin of flour. Roll about until floured and onto the board for rolling out. It's a good idea to return to the flour basin from time to time. Stops a lot of sticking. Flour the pin a bit too. Once rolled out it's onto the griddle and then brush with oil. 2 minutes later or so flip over and in another 2 minutes .....Done !! ;D   

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Davy's Naans with Piccy's
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 06:14 PM »
More Pics

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:17 PM »
and Finally

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:22 PM »
The end result? We'll...Very light naans slightly less than the yeast version but very light indeed. UB's were slightly more elastic and maybe this was down to me using 2 eggs. Maybe next time I will use 1. I think you really just need to play around a bit but I will say these babies bubble up a lot quicker. Interestingly the underside of the Naan was more like how my local T/A appears in colour than with the plain flour. Maybe we should try your recipe just using SR flour UB? Hope this helps you our Jerry!!! ;D  ;D  ;D 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:12 PM »
WOW! as i was reading through i thought these are going to be sticky.

your a real star . thanks  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:27 PM »
Something else I noticed. I left the dough for a couple of hours whilst I did this post and some other things. When I used it for tonights tea ;D The naans were different again. Much more elastic and more bubbles too. I heard Rick Stein say something about the gluten in the flour developing over time. This must be the elastic part. The raising agents obviously have time to work too. It definately improves with time  ;)     

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:13 AM »
i am on TA tonight and will reduce the naan order and make good with this recipe.

i agree on the time "ingredient" and will make sure i stick to 3 hrs before using. i'll go for 1 egg also.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Hey Davy, great post :) allways good to see some effort put in.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 08:16 AM »
emm!  :o

all did not go as expected. no sconey taste for sure (i can't understand now what can be causing it - but i'm now totally sold on self raising flour - just as Tamala said i should).

in comparison with the TA naan's they were every bit as good to the extent i'm now thinking of only buying mains from TA and making naans myself (amazing cost saving into the bargain).

one thing though (and i used exactly and i mean exactly the same ingredients as Davy) using the spec liquids the dough was too dry (i can't understand this either). i doubled it. so wet to dry ratio's are Davy 46%, UB 67% and i ended up with 92%.

the 92% is a no no even with the pat a cake trick.

i did not get as much bubbling as with UB's and would increase the bicarb to at least 1 tsp if not more. as with previous experience i did not feel the egg added much and would more often than not leave out.

i did miss the sugar and in comparison with TA they were clearly less sweet. so in goes at least 1tsp caster sugar (probably 2 tsp).

the dough did not need to prove. the oil was not missed either. i particularly liked that the self raising flour dough (unlike yeast dough) can be extended in both directions so the shape was better (not long and narrow).

in summary spot on 10/10.

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 11:15 AM »
Glad you made a step forward Jerry. The dryness is a puzzler. I did hear once the actual brand of flour can effect the amount of liquid needed although usually any time I have done them there is plenty of liquid  :-\ I would suggest up the milk a bit. You said in your previous post you would leave an egg out? Did you opt to leave it in this time round? As far as the sconey taste I think the other ingredients serve to mask the taste of the Baking powder which I think is the culprit although one has to suspect the plain flour too. Next time round I will double check my measurements just to make sure the info is correct. You,re right they don't really need to prove long at all although I have have noticed an improved elasticity over say a couple of hours. When you compare our first attempts the results we have now it certainly is a winning way to cook them. I'm sure once i was given a recipe in Florida by an Indian chef and they were similar to UB's recipe but I disregarded it as the results were naff! They wouldn't have been if I had used the cooking method we have now. Once again DOH!! :-[ 

©2024 Curry Recipes