Author Topic: mint sauce  (Read 12564 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: mint sauce
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 09:12 AM »
issiemc,

sounds as if it's living up to expectations.

did u warm the water to dissolve the sugar as i had this as an after thought following yesterday's post.

and a preference without the sugar sounds pretty good to me given the health factor

Offline issiemc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 06:51 AM »
No didn't warm the sugar, just added it in, but used caster.
But prefered it without, I use Greek yoghurt

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 09:40 AM »
i'm intending leaving the sugar out (might add a little and would certainly be caster - spot on there)

the sauce from our TA is not sweet (and for us does not need to be as we only have it with bhaji's)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 04:36 PM »
i'm still left pondering on this one. it was close but not quite their (saying that the family loved it).

for sure it's adopted as my fav - i'm going to make it again to see what effect the greek yoghurt has (i used plain).

i made 2 batches changing only the kashmiri masala - i used both gary's and issiemc's.

there is quite a difference between the 2 in terms of ingredients. i'm not sure on tasting which i prefer - hence the pondering.

i do think the anardana adds a special something and would add to both in future.

in terms of the mint sauce i did not use colemans and that may be my downfall - i did not think the mint came through enough and thought the yogurt too thick (wanted to add say milk to thin it).

i also think my eyes may have been the problem and that i need to get the green food colouring (as per BIR).

hope i don't sound negative as it's not intended - i feel it's very close and tantalising me as a result.

I like the kashmiri masala v.much and intend trying it out in my spice mix for curry making.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 03:51 PM »
hi jerry
it does not have to be colemans but it does make a difference between mint sauce and the fresh garden mint(which the recipe states), glad that you liked it any way, and if the yoghurt is too thick just use water to thin it down.
regards
gary

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 05:57 PM »
gary,

many thanks. i'm amazed how how i missed this simple reqt to use "garden" mint which of course i did not use.

Will correct my errors when I try out the greek yoghurt.

The addition of water sounds better than milk to thin it and will try this too.

We used the sauce with chilli prawn?s onion bahjis ? big hit with all but will have to treble the amount due to demand. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1334.0.html

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 07:00 PM »
gary,

made this sauce again - still not got the garden mint but it's on the shopping list.

i did use greek yoghurt but found no difference to using natural yoghurt.

i did add water and it worked a treat. i did add more lemon juice this time and i feel that worked well. i found it necessary to add the caster sugar. i continue to leave out the green colouring as i'm now quite happy with the taste.

i still can't decide between yours and issiemc for the kashmiri masala and neither can the family so i'll just have to keep making both. ;D

this has now along with CP's bhajis sorted out all we need in terms of starter - many thanks.

Offline Curryswede

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 01:19 PM »
There seems to be some ambivalence regarding the kashmiri masala in this recipe. In the beginning of the thread parker21 says patak's paste, which is basically a chili/garlic paste, and in the later part of the thread you guys seem to be using a kashmiri masala spice blend which is more like a garam masala. Using Patak's paste or the spice blend would leave a HUGE difference in taste in the finished sauce, so the question is which is correct/better.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 02:15 PM »
Curryswede,

very good question. i'm not sure if anyone will have the answer as they've probably not tried both ie pataks or make you're own masala.

i'm not keen on patak's full stop. i do make the kashmiri masala - i have a jar of issiemc's and a jar of parker21's.

they are a u say very much like a garam masala (not quite as harsh though).

the sauce using either of the masala's is very good. i haven't bothered to get the garden mint which will make it even better (just using ordinary mint sauce).

Offline Curryswede

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Since there isn't any fresh garlic in the recipe, I would imagine Patak's paste would be more "correct" in achieving the restaurant style sauce. I've been using the Kushi Balti book's mint sauce recipe, it has ginger and garlic in it and it tastes very close to the sauce I get served in restaurants here in my country.

©2024 Curry Recipes