Author Topic: Chicken Biryani - Indian Style and more ...  (Read 9620 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Biryani - Indian Style and more ...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:01 AM »
wow!.

this is a real top notch video and teach in - Budapest is obviously priority for hols.

it's got to be one to try out particularly with a madras sauce.

SnS you're really spoiling us now

Offline windybum

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:28 AM »
Hi all,

I made this a few weeks back and was disappointed, the saffron and mace overpowered the dish for me, if making this again i would leave them out altogether but otherwise a good recipe and cooking lesson and recommend it still, oh the pre fried onions tasted great in the rice will do it more often.

windybum

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:18 AM »
windybum,

thanks for the heads up. the mace is a bit "medical" tasting for me and will probably remove it completely.

i use mace in parker21's Kashmiri Masala and garam masala if i make my own (rarely nowadays). it works well in both but i guess it's in small proportions.

got to give this recipe a try for sure. 

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:45 AM »
i bet the guy doing the vids could give some quality lessons on indian cookery. will try this and report back. my list of things to try is reaching breaking point! not enough minutes in the day!

Offline daveanderson

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 04:40 PM »
Yep I tried this version also, I left out the mase as I have used it before and did not like the taste. My main problem with this version is that the rice was over cooked, so I'd recommend that the cooking of the rice is reduced by half at the beginning and at the end.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 06:26 AM »
Daveanderson,

i'm still bogged down on curry dish technique and have still not got to this.

the tip on the rice is noted.

how did u feel the taste compared to the real thing.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Hi all ,made a Chicken Biryani as per video today and although the family and me agreed it was very tasty we all agreed it was a very dry meal.My Daughter regularly orders a Chicken Biryani from our local T/A and that has Chicken in Rice in one container and fried ? vegetables and a sauce ( base sauce maybe )in another container this seems more enjoyable ,any thoughts you guys ? 

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 07:17 AM »
Hi Emin,

Whenever I order a byriani it always comes with a vegetable curry too, and they even give you a choice of which sauce to have, i.e. korma, tikka masala, madras etc.

I would be inclined to make a vegetable curry from base sauce and maybe just turn it into one of your favourite sauces like above.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 10:47 AM »
the BIR biryani comes normally with a vegetable curry sauce.

well worth a try asking for plain curry sauce in place of the vegetable curry sauce (i have madras). u have to be quite clear or it won't happen and u'll end up with the veg.

the plain curry sauce just lifts the dish for me. i also tend to go the whole hog and make sure there is an omelet and ask for a side of banana fritter. important if u have the omelet is not to put any curry sauce on it - eat on it's own or with the rice. reserve the sauce to have with the rest of the biryani.

©2024 Curry Recipes