Author Topic: who loves kebab shop chilly sauce!  (Read 17092 times)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
who loves kebab shop chilly sauce!
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:19 PM »
Although not anything to do with BIR cookery, i thought it might be worthy of a quick post. Its certainly another trade secret which i would love to crack. Being a bit of an addict to all things curry or chillies. Just what goes into that bubbly vat of chilly sauce they have steaming away unobtrusively in the corner! Another of lifes little mysteries!

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: who loves kebab shop chilly sauce!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Your in the wrong topic but hells yeah! I LOVE kebab shop chili sauce. I'd love to know how to make my own. It's delicious. I quite like the garlic sauce too! ;D I want Kebab now :(

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:41 PM »
Hi, Bobby, i had a sneaky suspicion I wouldn't be the only person on this site who loves that devilishly tasty stuff. Its making me hungry just thinking about it!

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:18 PM »
Hi, Bobby, i had a sneaky suspicion I wouldn't be the only person on this site who loves that devilishly tasty stuff. Its making me hungry just thinking about it!

You would be right there:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,615.0.html

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:30 PM »
hi i asked how to make this in a kebab shop in ashford, the guy said use tomato puree(tinned variety) mixed with water chilli powder pinch salt and splash of lemon juice(i have seen the bottles for this and it looks like a lemon juice dressing which i had seen for sale in iceland a couple of years ago, so don't know if they still do it) it is a clear long tapered bottle with green or yellow squirty lid. but i guess plj from a normal bottle will suffice. it's not too disimliar from the phall sauce recipe i posted but without the coriander/curry base sauce and the rajver masala( curry powder. just chuck it all in a saucepan and bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer, have made it and goes great with chicken kebab done on the bbq with crunchy leaf salad shredded cabbage (you can do this in your food processor), tomato and lemon wedge to squirt over (cucumber optional) and pickled long green chillies. can smell it now!

regards
gary

Offline bitchinsahsa

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:37 PM »
Hey guys,

Well I used to work in a chippy and the guys there made their own chilli sauce for the kebabs.

They basically used a massive pot and filled it up with a large bottle, catering size, of tomato ketchup and then about half as much water.  Add some salt, sugar, lots of chilli powder and some mixed herbs and boil it all up.  Leave to cool and put back in the tomato ketchup bottle and the rest :D

Offline scotty99

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:28 AM »
I am a reformed donner kebab addict, limit myself to one a month now!! so this topic has interested me. I knew the owner of Sinbads kebab house on (central drive here in Blackpool,uk) It has shut down now but made the best homemade sauces , i tried and tried to get him to show me how the chilli sauce was made, but he couldnt give his successful trade secrets away (people used to drive from miles away just to buy tubs of his sauces &kebabs!)He always gave me extra meat and sauce though!

bitchinsahsa's description sounds very similar, it definately had fresh black pepper in it, how i miss that place

ps- (cant stand that hot bolognese type that some places use, heats up the salad and makes the pita soggy)   ps-2 damn u guys, got a craving now tonite....and the kebab shops here are open to 3am!!!!  must resist, think of the cals....resistance is futile....

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 08:56 PM »
I quite like the garlic sauce too! ;D I want Kebab now :(

How about this?

http://www.gomideast.com/articles/recipes/garlicsauce.htm

I was in Israel a few years ago....worked on a Kibbutz.  Anyway, when we visited the towns....I always had a Shawarma kebab which is similar to our Doner but nicer.  I think they are meant to be the same but what we get here isn't quite authentic.  There's a place in Leicester Sq which I used to love to visit....opposite Stringfellows I think.  It's Lebansese and has a great kebab.  They would offer whole green Chillies with the Kebab which were pickled.  Anybody know what type of Chillies these might be?  Anybody tried that Kebab shop?

Offline scotty99

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Yep Shawarma kebabs are nice and probably the closest thing to the British Donner when you are abroad. I would say they are a bit healthier as well! Had a really nice one in Amsterdam a while back.

Next time Im in London might check out the Leicester Sq one! My fav kebab shop also gives whole pickled chillies. Serrano and Anaheim chillies pickle well whole, and Jalapenos pickle well, but are usually silced width ways as they pack a bit of heat!

Scott

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 10:30 AM »
Anybody know what type of Chillies these might be? 

Most of the kebab places I visit bung in whole pickled Jalapenos, I've even managed to buy tubs of them from a few places for a ?1 a go, I just eat them on there own they are so nice :)

©2024 Curry Recipes