Author Topic: Lightboy's Base Sauce  (Read 13687 times)

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lightboy's Base Sauce
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 06:20 PM »
Thanks for that I tend to buy the bunches of ready cut from Tesco which is about 30 -40 stems so that is helpful.
Matt

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 06:29 PM »
i buy it in huge bags too. once its frozen its really easy to break up. i dont think the taste is compromised much after freezing (if at all). although its nice to use fresh. I now use cori extensivly, as all BIR curries i buy seem to feature that fresh cori flavour. especially rogan josh, bhuna, some dansaks, and diopiaza 

Offline lightboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 05:15 PM »
im making another batch tonight so i will try and be a little more scientific with measurements etc (wine notwithstanding lol).. if there any changes i fell need making i'll let you know..
p.s. has anyone tried it yet ? would love any feedback ..

Offline lightboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 02:35 PM »
Just a quick update .. i now substitute some of the water for about 1/2 pint of chicken stock (real not from cubes) this does seem to add a little something to the dishes .. it doesnt give it any more BIR authenticity just makes it better somehow ..
has anyone tried my base yet ? with or without stock ...

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Hi LB, i like the look of the base, have you a proven recipe to go with it? if so, i would like to give this base a test run! once round the block!

Offline lightboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Hi Derek .. as its quite a tomatoey base then anything suited to that
will work well .. the recipe i have had the best results with was my lamb rogan jhosh
.. which is basically just adding more of the same spice mix and another bulb of garlic and another coriander plant ..
for best results marinade some leg of lamb pieces in yogurt and the bulb of garlic(crushed)along with a desert spoon of garam masala.. ideally leave this (well covered as it stinks)in the fridge for about 2 days before adding all spices .. quickly seal meat and fry down onions etc... in separate pan add alltogether with tomatoes and coriander add some stock/water then put in a caserole type dish in the oven on low heat and leave to cook for about 4-6 hours .. maybe just remove any scum now and again .. and you will have a very tasty and tender dish ...

Offline lightboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26 PM »
any luck ?

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 12:06 AM »
Would be good to see a few pictures of this one, apart from tasting it (which unfortunately technology still doesn't let us do over the internet  ???) it would be interesting to see the final colour and texture of the base!

Del

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 12:58 AM »
Yes, some reviews of this would be good.

Quite a departure from some of the popular ones on the site.

Could be quite good. Unfortunately I've got a freezer full of base right now  ;D

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 07:53 AM »
Unfortunately I've got a freezer full of base right now
I reckon about a quarter of my freeser is curry related cartons.

©2024 Curry Recipes