Author Topic: Fishing Lures  (Read 6514 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing Lures
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Thanks UB!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 12:17 AM »
UB,

I finally got around to trying this tonight, and I don't know what went wrong. The batter wouldn't stick to the fish, only about a third actually stayed on. I ended up with fried fish and lumps of crispy batter!

When you say bicarb, you mean baking soda, not baking powder, right? Maybe there was too much beer in the mixture.

Any ideas? Your BIR recipes are great. Hope your chippy ones aren't duff!

Cheers,
Josh

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chippy Batter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 01:35 PM »
UB,

I finally got around to trying this tonight, and I don't know what went wrong. The batter wouldn't stick to the fish, only about a third actually stayed on. I ended up with fried fish and lumps of crispy batter!

When you say bicarb, you mean baking soda, not baking powder, right? Maybe there was too much beer in the mixture.

Any ideas? Your BIR recipes are great. Hope your chippy ones aren't duff!

Cheers,
Josh

Arh thats a disappointment.

Not sure. maybe my beer measurement is a bit to generous.

Perhaps a few things to note:

- Fish will need to be padded dry with kitchen paper.
- Mixture needs to runny, smooth and sticky - dip finger into mixture should come out and stay coved.
- Pour Beer into mixing bowl while whisking until you have the above.
- Oil must be hot.

Dont give up mate you will enjoy  ;)

Bicarbonate of Soda [baking soda] helps release carbon dioxide to aid a light batter.
Not baking powder but that wouldn't make much difference and can be used as a substitute.

I have a freezer full of Cod and ill be doing this again soon.. i will pay more attention to my efforts and get back maybe with some mixture pics.

All the best UB

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 03:47 AM »
Hmm. I did the things you mentioned. It was like the batter was so fine and thin, it was more like a glaze, that easily came off.

BTW I deep fried the cod in a pot with hot oil. When I dropped the battered fish into the pot, they sunk right to the bottom, and I assume the batter stuck to the bottom of the pan. Upon prying the fish from the bottom, I immediately lost half the batter right there.

Maybe its my frying method. You mention "turning" the fish. Do you shallow fry them in a skillet?

-- Josh

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 05:29 PM »
Hmm. I did the things you mentioned. It was like the batter was so fine and thin, it was more like a glaze, that easily came off.

BTW I deep fried the cod in a pot with hot oil. When I dropped the battered fish into the pot, they sunk right to the bottom, and I assume the batter stuck to the bottom of the pan. Upon prying the fish from the bottom, I immediately lost half the batter right there.

Maybe its my frying method. You mention "turning" the fish. Do you shallow fry them in a skillet?

-- Josh

No deep fry.. The batted fish floats so you will need to turn over.
shouldn't sink at all??

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Mine sunk right away. It seemed to float after a little bit, but I already had the ruin the batter by this point scraping it off the bottom.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 07:17 PM »
Mine sunk right away. It seemed to float after a little bit, but I already had the ruin the batter by this point scraping it off the bottom.

I can only think that the oil wasn't hot enough??

i use a sugar/jam thermometer

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 03:54 PM »
Yep, that's probably it. I only have a meat thermometer that doesn't go high enough to work with. Will try again...

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 10:39 PM »
hi i am trying to upload picture but not working at moment will try again.
 yahoo managed to put it on my avatar
 <------------------------------- ;D andy and the dorado just outside kassiopi corfu
            andy

©2024 Curry Recipes