Author Topic: SnS's Madras using SnS's Base June 2008  (Read 34544 times)

Offline Bod68

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Madras using SnS's Base June 2008
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Right! Phew... my first BIR curry and attached a pic of it! First thing I noticed is how authentic it smells :) I will be eating it tonight and report back in the morning!

Sorry about the size... if someone can reduce it thanks :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:12 AM by Admin »

Offline Bod68

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 09:38 AM »
Right here's my report back :)

Firsty it was an exceptional curry and we all enjoyed it thouroughly. Two observations...

It didn't have the takeaway flavour. Not sure what was missing but it simply wasn't like you would buy. Secondly it wasn't anywhere hot enough for a Madras. No where near spicy enough. Saying that I really enjoyed making it and NOTHING was left so thumbs up :)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Good report Bod68 - well done.

However, as this is your first effort (which is great), it really is not surprising that you haven't matched the BIR taste ... this will come with a little practice (eg: did you get the toffee aroma when frying the spices?)

If you found this is not as hot as you would expect from a Madras, look at the chilli powder you are using. There are many different types and some are hotter than others. Chilli powder needs to be adjusted to taste, but if you like it hot then you need to add 'extra hot' chilli powder rather than using more of a 'medium hot' chilli powder as this tends to thicken the curry unnecessarily. It is also important that you don't add too much of the base as this will dilute the finished taste.

Regards
SnS  ;)

Offline Bod68

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Ah ok thanks for the tips there SnS :)

I used a standard chilli so I will try EXTRA HOT next time and perhaps a tad more. I think I did get the toffee aroma but all in all it took about 10 minutes to cook instead of the 15mins you stated so perhaps I didn't do the original bit long enough...

As I stated before I wasn't totally convinced I made 2.65litres of the base so would check that to make double sure next time.

I wont be giving up though it was lurrrrvly :)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 03:56 PM »
...... but all in all it took about 10 minutes to cook instead of the 15mins you stated so perhaps I didn't do the original bit long enough...

Not necessarily - the original frying 'bit' is important to release the spice flavours - but equally important is the simmering 'bit'. This is when all the individual flavours blend together to give the final taste.

Look forward to seeing your next report.  ;)

Rgds
SnS
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:52 PM by SnS »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 07:38 PM »
I used a standard chilli so I will try EXTRA HOT next time and perhaps a tad more.

Bod68, when I first started cooking my own curries I inadvertently used the standard chilli. Unless you're a major chilli-head be careful when 'adding a tad more'. Extra-hot is MUCH hotter than standard, at least for the brands I've used. At one point I was using 4 or 5 tsp of standard in a Madras. Now its usually 1 tsp in a Madras and 1 tbsp in a Vindaloo with the extra-hot.

Glad its working out for you.

-- Josh

Offline Bod68

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 10:45 PM »
Thanks for the tips :)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 11:59 PM »
I use Rajah extra hot chilie, they do a 'normal' chilie too.  I have not tried their normal chilie, but the extra hot is much hotter than swhartz.  1 to 1 and a half lev teaspoons (tps) of extra hot gives the same level of heat in my madras as 2 lev tablespoons (Tbs) of the Swhartz.  The Rajah gives a much more convincing 'BIR' taste also!  Havn't looked back!

Offline bighairybloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 10:19 AM »

[/quote]

I cook my rice with a pinch of normal cumin, a pinch of fennel, a couple of green cardomom pods and sizeable piece of cassia (sometimes yellow food colouring). I do this simply because I have rooted around in my favourite BIR's rice and that's what they put in. Mine's not as good though - their grains are really nice and dry, and there's another flavour I can't establish.
[/quote]

Could it be Black Cardamom?  Itys like a smoked taste, i have been experimenting but have some way to go.

Steve

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Steve, I always use the Pilou Rice recipe from CurryQueen elsewhere on the site, perfect.

©2024 Curry Recipes