Author Topic: Chicken Dhansak BIR Perfect Every Time  (Read 36893 times)

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Dhansak BIR Perfect Every Time
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 10:23 AM »
How much Lemon juice would you say that a whole Lemon has?  I would like to make this using juice from a bottle as opposed to getting a whole lemon.

Also, when you use 'Cup' as a measurement, am I right to assume you are working on the UK measurement of one cup = 285ml/g? (as opposed to the US 236ml per 'cup')

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:24 PM »
May have to give this a try and guess on a few things since I just noticed this thread hasn't been posted in since last year!  I REALLY want to master this awesome dish since it's one of my faves in the curry house.  I'll try it once and pray it works!

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 12:26 PM »
I love dansak too. its not mentioned much on this site mate. most members are only into hardcore curries! i always cook the red lentils in some butter ghee. add around 1 or even 2 tbs lemon juice, and up to 1 tbs sugar depending on how sickly sweet you like it. use 2 chefs spoons of red lentils per dish. the dd spice mix is good for dansak. cook at a high heat . safron base or sns base would be suitable. lime juice can be added with lemon juice. lots of chilly powder. hope this helps

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Great minds are obviously thinking alike here coz I've been doing this over the last few weeks to try and get it right, for me. I'd pretty much go with all that DD says but try using 50/50 mix of split red lentils and washed moong dahl, they both cook in around 25 mins and you get the smoothness of the red lentils with added texture of the moong dahl, loverly. Also try sizzling a tsp of yellow mustard seeds in the ghee/oil before adding the lentils, gives the finished dahl an extra depth of flavour.

Regards
CoR

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Well I'll be using the SnS-2008 base for sure.  I have got all the ingredients in this recipe and the Asafoetida and Methi mentioned by currytester, but haven't got Ghee, mustard seeds or Moong Dahl.

I'll have to muddle through this with what I've got but I will report back my findings and hopefully in future attempts I will be able to introduce your further suggestions.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Hi Robbo, i will be interested to hear how you get on with the recipe posted on this thread. i have been meaning to try it for over a year now! 

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 12:36 PM »
gonna try it tomorrow then will report in!  ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 07:43 PM »
How much Lemon juice would you say that a whole Lemon has?  I would like to make this using juice from a bottle as opposed to getting a whole lemon.

I suggest it's worth using the real thing, i.e. a real lemon. In my opinion, "lemon juice" from a bottle tastes little better than dish water.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 09:03 PM »

I suggest it's worth using the real thing, i.e. a real lemon. In my opinion, "lemon juice" from a bottle tastes little better than dish water.

I wouldn't know about that, having never tasted dish water.
I find that KTC Lemon Dressing is quick, convenient and more than acceptable and I have seen it used in several BIR kitchens,
Bob

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 01:44 PM »
I wouldn't know about that, having never tasted dish water.

So you don't partake of the Kingfisher lager when you go to the BIR then?

©2024 Curry Recipes