Author Topic: An Indian Housewifes Recipe Book  (Read 7856 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: An Indian Housewifes Recipe Book
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 07:58 AM »
Haldi

I have recently poste a recipe for Brinjal Aloo, (Potato and Aubergine Curry) - I havent got the book - could you do a quick comparison between the book and the one I posted - My family all think this one is great - it may just be different perspectives

Thanks

No, it isn't the same
The indian housewifes recipe fries cummin and mustard seeds first.
Then adds 2 large onions and cooks them till golden
Then a few ground spices, the raw cut potato and raw cut aubergine and salt.
It turns out almost like a spicy stew
I was dissapointed with this
Your recipe however, looks very promising and I will, at some point, try it
Here is your recipe,for anyone to try
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2918.0

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Tonight I made the "Pork Curry" from this book. I wasn't too impressed with it to be honest. The overall impression was that it was underspiced and a bit of a waste of pork, as it was a lot of meat and not so much sauce.  I interpreted the spoon measurements to be heaped rather than level, but even with this interpretation the final dish was fairly bland.

The sauce which did remain after 50 mins of simmering quickly separated on the plate, with the water being sucked into the rice and a dry paste remaining.

Of course the book isn't BIR and doesn't claim to be, but I was hoping it was going to be a useful source of traditional style recipes.   I think I'll stick to BIR.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 06:52 PM »
I think I have that book somewhere, but haven't made anything from it. Don't think I'll bother now.....

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 11:23 PM »
We've been going to Goa for about eighteen years and over that time have been to friends houses and ate numerous home made curries, all tasted lovely but  completely different to the BIR curries that we eat in the UK, their curries are usually much thinner than the BIR curries made with a base sauce and probably what the Indian Housewife would serve up, whereas the curries served in the restaurants are basically the BIR ones that we know and love (possibly more so than ours as the spices are so much fresher)

©2024 Curry Recipes