Author Topic: increasing the amount of tomato puree  (Read 10716 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: increasing the amount of tomato puree
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Hey guys, I used to just add around 1tsp of the stuff from a tube. After reading on here about what the BIRs use, I nipped along to my local cash and carry and got a great big tin of White Tower (cost 1.49). It looks like this if you've not seen UB's pic.

I emptied it out into tupperware a put it in the freezer. Not when I make a curry, I gouge out a teaspoon full. I nuke it for a few seconds with a tsp of water and stir well. I find it works much better for the frying stage than the stuff out the tube. Worth a shot if you have any to hand.

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 06:44 PM »
Do you find any difference in taste using white tower, I ask as I can't find it.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 11:06 AM »
white tower is best, but taste wise its very similar to a good quality tom puree out of tube.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 07:29 AM »
i am now the proud owner of one such tin and at 1.59p for 860g comparable with ASDA. i also spotted a 4.5kg massive tin which i'm eyeing for Christmas if the trial/tasting goes well.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 07:28 AM »
DD's pretty much summed it up
white tower is best, but taste wise its very similar to a good quality tom puree out of tube.

i cooked 4 off madras sauces last night and found there was no significant difference using the white tower.

just tasting it out the jar then it does taste a lot better than the supermarket own brand jars. tastes a lot sweeter.

i think if u have it to hand then fine - if not i'm not going to miss it. The extra messing to deal with the bigger container is also a drag (I ended up putting into jars covered with oil ? not keen on freezing unless no other option).

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 08:07 PM »
i cooked 4 off madras sauces last night and found there was no significant difference using the white tower.

I'm glad you've put this one to bed Jerry!

Another myth bites the dust...the myth being that a particular brand, white tower in this case, is essential for the BIR result. Nice one.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 08:30 PM »
Secret Santa,

myth's sounds a good idea for a new post - what do you think.

It would certainly help me and I guess most members to better see the wood from the trees.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 08:47 PM »
myth's sounds a good idea for a new post - what do you think.

Certainly. Sounds like an excellent idea. It might help me to calm my blood pressure too when I read the occasional nonesense that is propounded here!   ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes