Author Topic: You beauty! I bought a portion of base!!!  (Read 21694 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: You beauty! I bought a portion of base!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Ok, here it is. The carton, just opened, stirred a little and stirred a little more.

Offline chowie

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 02:06 PM »
Nice one Bobby, yeah I agree that looks like there is allot more carrot in that base looking at the texture. So this seems to confirm to me that the Ginger comes through at the frying stage which is what a BIR owner mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago by using a "few slithers" he said (or what I thought he said anyway)

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 02:43 PM »
Good work BB, the base looks fairly thick to me more like a finished sauce or are the pictures deceptive.
Cheers

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 02:50 PM »
Good work BB, the base looks fairly thick to me more like a finished sauce or are the pictures deceptive.

Good observation Matt, it is very thick and has the colour and texture of a finished sauce. It doesn't taste like one though.

When I got it, it was at the end of the night and the sauce was hot. It may have been bubbling away all night explaining the thickness due to water evaporation, or they may have simply fried it. Perhaps it is just thick from the start.

I'm actually sterring away from thin watery bases and edging towards bases with a little more body. Let's face it, it speeds up the curry making process, which BIRs are all about.

Did I mention that there is a slight heat to the base. Not much though but it is there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:19 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 03:18 PM »
What curry (recipe) are you using to cook with it tonight Bobby.

Look forward to seeing the results.

SnS  :P

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 03:21 PM »
What curry (recipe) are you using to cook with it tonight Bobby.

I'm going to work with 1tsp white tower tomato paste, 1tsp garlic paste, 1 tsp bruce edwards, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 pinch methi and a little fresh coriander. I'm sure you can all fill in the blanks :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Chowie

So this seems to confirm to me that the Ginger comes through at the frying stage which is what a BIR owner mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago by using a "few slithers" he said (or what I thought he said anyway)

are u suggesting like Bobby that a small amount of ginger should be in the base. i just want to be sure (i could not taste it at all). it's sort of on my mind as having left it out the last base i did not miss it but i also re started using ginger in the form of garlic/ginger paste at frying stage - this worked well.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 06:22 PM »
Bobby,

the amount of oil is real intriguing - do u have a photo of the madras curry or can u give us a bit of feedback on what the oil was like in the finished curry u bought.

i ask as your experience seems to confirm their is a range (albeit narrow) of BIR bases. i've experienced the occasional BIR that adopts a very oily form to their curries - which is very nice just a little different to mainstream.

i guess i'm trying to work out what happens to the oil when they cook with this base. does it produce a much emulsified curry (like the occasional BIR above) or does it sit on the surface or does it go somewhere else.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 07:35 PM »
do u have a photo of the madras curry or can u give us a bit of feedback on what the oil was like in the finished curry u bought.

Yes I do, I'll add it tmrw. It was very oily. The oil sat on the surface. I agree there is a range of BIR bases. This one is quite good but not the one I want. The one I want produces curries like no other. It's the holy grail for me. However this Madras was good and pretty typical, so the whole thing is still worthwhile. Now I'm off to do my Madras using the bought base. I'll report tmrw.

Cheers,

BB.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Just done my Madras. Amusingly enough it was better than theirs, without a doubt. Best curry I've ever made?  :-\

Up there, but not unachieveable from the recipes here. I have learned so much, the biggest factor being subtley spice your base sauce.

However, I wouldn't say this was any better than using SnS June 2008 base with a standard Madras recipe.

I am going to replicate this base and when I get it right, I'll post my closest effort to the real recipe. I'm certain I can get very very close.

P.S. In my Madras the oil dispappeared without trace. Maybe it just separates in the carton. Also, the sauce was too thick. I had to add water.

I'll post pictures of their Madras and my (our) Madras soon. Just by the way, my rice tonight was my best yet. I really feel we're getting there! ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes