Author Topic: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)  (Read 27919 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 12:49 PM »
Jeez, Rob.....my memory isn't that good  :)    Haven't made it for too long but, luckily, saved my changes.

I add a little base sauce at the final stage; omit the cumin and reduce the fenugreek (as they're both in my base); omit the honey and add a little creamed coconut block.

Suits my taste, but maybe not everyone's.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 12:52 PM »
Thanks Garp, much appreciated.

All the best

Rob

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 01:16 PM »
Thanks Steve, I made Makhani sauce years ago from a Madhur Jaffrey book and the first time it was with 'normal' salted butter and it wasn't right. The second attempt was with unsalted and it made a world of difference. Hence my question. Once again thanks.
Just thought I'd bump this one as made it again at the weekend and it's a cracker.

I make the sauce ingredients 1 to spec, but fiddle a little with the second part.

Well worth the effort :)

No problem Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 01:24 AM »
I've watched the video of these 2 women cooking and discussing this dish before. It has been discussed elsewhere on the forum and raises some interesting points. 
1) They say in the video that British Chicken Tikka Masala is just Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani) with a different name.

However,
2) Most Butter Chicken recipes do not use pre-cooked Chicken Tikka, just chicken. (a possible differentiation between the 2 dishes as far as BIR is concerned), so is the OP recipe here one or the other or a hybrid?

Also discussed elsewhere on the forum:
3) Some Butter Chicken recipes do not actually have any butter at all. This has been discussed before and stems from the definition of Makhani gravy as having a buttery mouth feel without necessarily containing actual butter but ghee, oil and cream.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Livo
SLs earlier attempt at these housewives home video recipe, used base gravy and less butter
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8087.msg71392#msg71392

Murgh Makhani/ Butter Chicken is more of an Indian authentic, popular and mild curry.
Thousands of tomato based recipes for it. Think spiced Tomato Gravy, Cream and Butter or Ghee.
Not the same flavour as a BIR CTM.

Not something I make, as Bangladeshi restaurants do not sell it.
But it is being requested more and more, so I will probably post a recipe eventually.

cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes