Author Topic: Achari  (Read 2161 times)

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Achari
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:04 PM »
I've had a BIR achari dish before and it was really good, anyone have a good recipe?, I've got a couple of Lamb Bhunas in the freezer which I cut back on the chilli powder with and wish I hadn't,so now they're a bit on the mild side, was thinking of stirring in a dollop of lime pickle when I defrost it, what do you think????

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Achari
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:40 PM »
was thinking of stirring in a dollop of lime pickle when I defrost it, what do you think????

Had you not already suggested it that's exactly what I would have said. Actually, I would have said what's the nearest curry you can liken it to and then make one of those and throw in a good couple of tablespoons of lime pickle.

Mind you, some use mixed pickle instead of lime pickle. Also the achari bit actually refers to pickling spices and not the pickle itself, at least in authentic indian cooking, so perhaps a few indian pickling spices might also help to get you there. Google achari recipes to find authentic recipes and copy the spices from that.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:45 PM »
Similar to what SS has said I have had good results taking an authentic recipe and BIR'ing it.  Use the same spices and substitute the onions etc.. for a base sauce.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Thanks,
I had a quick look on google yesterday,most of the acharis involve tempering whole pickleing spices at the start of the dish,mustard + fennel seeds seemed to crop up alot, so I'll see if i can incorporate this into it some how,I might even try one from scratch at some point,I'll have a crack at the cheats/DIY version for now and try and track down some mixed pickle of even Mango pickle,reckon that could be tasty.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:47 AM »
It might be worth defrosting it, remove the meat from the sauce, then in a pan heat 1 tlbs oil, add some chilli powder and fry for a minute then adding the sauce, let it heat up and mix with the chilli, then add the meat back in and heat thoroughly.

©2024 Curry Recipes