Author Topic: New NaaN  (Read 4017 times)

Offline issiemc

• Chef
    • View Profile
New NaaN
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:57 PM »
I made some lovely Naan's today, they turned out perfect

3/4 lb wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbs oil or ghee
1 tsp dried yeast
7 fl oz warm water

1. Put the flour into a large bowl with the salt, sugar & yeast.  Add the oil-or ghee and rub in with fingers, Now add enough warm water to mix to a dough.

2. Knead the dough for 5 to 10 Min's, (until its flexible)cover with a damp cloth, leave for 1 hour to rise in a warm place around 20c.should double in size,

3. Then divide the dough into 8 equal balls. Roll each one into a oval shape.

4. Preheat a heavy frying pan or tava till really hot  (do not add oil)put the naan on and
   cook until it puffs up and turn, should take 30 40 sec each side

5. Brush with Ghee or oil when cooked  :) :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New NaaN
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:16 PM »
issiemc,

have u previously used self raising at all. i was sold on yeast naan for many yrs and have recently switched to self raising down to convenience.

would be interested if so how u rate the 2 types. i'm no longer convinced on the "convenience" as u still have to leave SR for quite a while before cooking (i think to give the water chance to work).

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:31 PM »
I'm sort of going the other way. I've been using the Pacman self-rising naan recipe for a long while, and can never get any decent rising out of them using a pan-fry method. If its true at BIRs don't use yeast, and they still manage to get those well-risen naans, then its down to the tandoor.

To change it up, this weekend I used UB's naan recipe with the yeast in it. Everyone said the naans were better than usual. Me personally - all I could taste was the sourness the yeast adds.

If I could stick to the yeast method, and get the huge fluffy naans, but get rid of the sourness, it would be a huge step forward. Sadly, sugar doesn't seem to mask the yeast.

Issiemc, curious as to why you add the dry yeast to the flour mix. Most of the yeast-based recipes I use (not just naan, but pizza dough etc.) all have the yeast sitting in warm water for a bit.

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 07:08 AM »
i not sure which way to go - i've think i've just cracked the "sconey" taste - i now put this down to sodium bicarb. since stopping using it in the SR naans and leaving the flour for at least 1 hr before pan cooking i feel they are as good as i can manage at home.

i used to however make only yeast naan following KD's recipe and i feel they were better.

the sourness i'm sure is down to the yeast being used - u need to switch to the "fast" action variety of dried yeast. this u can add direct to the flour. the stuff that goes in water 1st is for bread making.

i may have to try this recipe and UB's again (i still use the pat a cake trick)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:36 PM »
Really? I will give that a definite try.

Thanks Jerry!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Jerry i stopped using baking power/bicarb and self rising completly now just yeast and plain flour much better for me.. taste better too.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:23 PM »
UB, so how would you recommend modifying the V2 UB Naan recipe based on those changes?

THanks,
Josh

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 06:35 AM »
UB, so how would you recommend modifying the V2 UB Naan recipe based on those changes?

THanks,
Josh

I will soon, i need a few more attemps at it first. then ill post it.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:51 AM »
i'll try and remember to try issiemc's recipe this week and report back so we can collate thoughts.

issiemc - still using your mint sauce - spot on.

the recipe i use at mo is so simple i can remember it in my head: 450g SR flour, 100ml milk, 200ml water, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp caster sugar (optional)

it produces a very wet mix that needs UB's pat a cake trick to get them to the pan. ie i use minimal flour to get from bowl to partial roll out, then rely on the hands to stretch them to final size before cooking in the pan.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 07:26 PM »
issiemc,

i tried hard to make this work. i think the real difficulty is that i've got the SR way off pat now and probably lost a bit of practise on making the yeast naans.

they turned out OK but not as good as using SR. i think the reason is that there is not enough water. the recipe has 59% liquid c/w KD's recipe of 67% (which i use when not making SR naan).

i've found that the SR seems to favour the tarva method of cooking whilst a hotter medium (ie my gas BBQ) produces a better result with yeast naan.

©2024 Curry Recipes