Author Topic: Ashoka at the Quay  (Read 62062 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Ashoka at the Quay
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Folks I am just back from the afternoon in heaven. I got more or less 3 hours behind the scenes in the above BIR the latest in the famous Scottish Chain of BIRs. I was given full permission to share with you what I found although I did explain it was for the personal use only of the members.

The Owner kindly gave me permission to spend the afternoon with their award winning chef in the working kitchen with clients still ordering and eating and while they prepared the buffet for the evening trade.

I have taken notes and I managed to record most of it on my iPhone which has just completely justified its existence.

I will take time over the next wee while to bring it all to you but I do have a busy couple of weeks ahead of me.

For starters some highlights, They take pride in the base and believe it is critical,without it being perfect all else is worthless. It contains amongst other things tomato puree (White Tower Brand) but any should do, curry powder medium (East End Madras Brand) turmeric,chili powder again East End brand, he swears by this make. Blocked Coconut Cream and wait for it vegetable margarine and vegetable oil. The full recipe I will post asap.Bye the way not a lot if any oil is recovered.

Two other stand out ingredients was a pre cooked Garlic and Ginger Paste which has oil and turmeric with a 70/30 Garlic Ginger proportion. The really important ingredient was a caramelised onion sauce, which is extensively used along with the Garlic,Ginger Paste. This onion sauce may be what was substituted in the controversial Onion paste posted elsewhere.

So much to report,he also showed me how to make the Pakora with some secrets and how the chicken ismarinaded before pre cooking,however the same marinade was used to cook my take home Chicken Bhuna to prove that pre cooking is only a convenience thing while actually cooking fresh is so much better and boy did it taste amazing.

I was shown how to make the Ticka Marinade, how to cook Korma and how he pre cooks his lamb the most melt in the mouth lamb I have ever tasted. I can go on and on, They use ali pans as they feel they are safest and don't burn, they don't use ghee other than for dressing nan breads. The never use Worcestershire sauce they pointed out that your nostrils adjust after a short time in the kitchen so you cant really smell it after a while so I had my theory posted elsewhere vindicated. They don't eat these meals for no other reason than their home cooked has no pre cooking is so much better they say and more healthy. They don't eat Kormas or Patia or such things though they would eat the Bhuna. The chef does all he can to cook the food as near as he can to Indian home cooking. There is absolutely no food dyes used.

Korma is made with the base sauce(yellow in colour)and UHT Single Cream only. The addition of coconut or nuts etc is just for simple variations on the menu.

I need to stop now since I have a life beyond this addiction (just) and will edit my recordings and decipher my noted before posting below in due course. I had the time of my life, bye the way they do not flame the food claiming after initial high heat they cook on a slow flame. I could go on but need to stop now, cheers a delirious Panpot.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:45 PM »
Nice one panpot, you definitely enjoyed yourself then?  ;D
Looking forward to the videos most of all. Did you taste the base?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:15 PM »
Nice one panpot! You're going to be inundated with questions now, I can think of at least a million straight off!   ;D

I'll wait until you've gathered your thoughts though. Looking forward to this.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:04 AM »
Were you able to get a specific recipe for the base?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:12 AM »
Panpot,

some real nugget pieces of the jigsaw - well done

the chain of restarants is also of interest - i've been once to an "Ashoka" in Lancashire. Very posh food, very good but astonishingly high cost.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 08:16 AM »
Can't wait for the full reoprt Panpot, nice one  8)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:35 AM »
Nice on panpot

Link to restaurant Here http://www.toptable.co.uk/venues/restaurants/?id=8842
Would be good to get the mobile footage uploaded to view it.

Stew

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Nice one Panpot I look forward to the rest of your report sounds like you had a great time; "lucky You".

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 11:56 AM »
Thanks guys, Ive just skipped away from my work to check in for a moment. I can answer all the questions in due course. i have recipes and can get more info too. My recording is audio only on two apps Ecco Note Lite and iTalk. I should be able to sync them to my laptop then hopefully give you access to them. I also have some photographs but may need some help from you more technically minded to assist.

One thing I need to have you respect is the confidentiality of the info. I promised it was for our info only and it would not be taken or disclosed further though didn't specifically ask to be able to share the voice recording but I am sure we can all treat it with the respect its due.

The chain is very well respected and the owners are big players in Scotland and amongst the Indian community. The chef is an award winner and again we really need to be careful how we deal with this, I am sure you all understand.

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 12:42 PM »
Panpot,
you lucky b-b-b bugger...you have been blessed getting access to the kitchen of the best chain of Indian restaurants in Scotland/UK I always went to the Ashoka in Johnstone. Mate can't wait to read what you have been shown....Loads of questions like everyone else :-)

©2024 Curry Recipes