Author Topic: Ashoka at the Quay  (Read 62341 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Panpot (or anyone else who knows), is this Ashoka chain serving poshed-up BIR cuisine, or is it what we would consider run-of-the-mill high street curries?

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Secret Santa, The Ashoka chain has resteraunts found all over the west of Scotland and beyond. They serve quality Indian food and have been successful because of the passion the owners had for the food and being of service to a hungry market. They would not place themselves as a posh outlet I don't think. The resteraunt I was in was in an entertainment estate that is built around a multi screen cinema, a Bingo Hall, eateries such as Harry Ramsdens, Nandos, etc, etc. The Sunday evening fare included an all you can eat buffet so I think you get the picture.

The food is really good quality BIR no doubt about it. Hope this helps. Panpot

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Hi Panpot... I know the Ashoka chain very well and they pump out very good curries in most of their places although they do vary in quality sometimes.

I'm *really* *really* looking forward to this thread.... could this be it finally ??

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:16 PM »
OK if you guys don't mind I intend to just fill in as I can what happened in the odd moments I get a chance. I am really busy travelling and working till pretty much the middle of December so bear with me as I fill in as I go.

I will do what I can to post the recordings but intend to listen to them and post as I go the recipes I got and the processes and other interesting input. Some of the recordings include interuptions from the other staff as I am pulled here and there to witness stuff being cooked or presented so editing them into clear recipes will need to be done as it was recorded as it happened and as you would expect in relatively cramped conditions much was going on and the top chef and myself were bye and large in the way as the other chef and his two support colleagues were meeting demand from the front of house. That said it was still fantastic and I have much to share that should make a big difference if not for all of us then I am sure most of us certainly for me it will change a number of things I do and improve my cooking no end.

So first things first and as it came.

Green Chili Paste. Used in hotter curries Hand blended Green chili's and oil.

Garlic and Ginger Paste. Critical and used almost universally. For convenience pre cooked and preserved in the oil for up to 15 days. 70/30 proportion of Garlic and Ginger heated in oil and turmeric until begins to fry and releases aroma then immediately taken off the cooker and aloud to cool set covered in the oil for preservation.

Marinade. This is also universally used for either pre cooking chicken or cooking from fresh. for convenience it is used in pre cooked chicken however where possible the Chef recommended cooking it from fresh after marinading for at least four hours. He cooked me a Chicken Bhuna with it later and although only marinading for couple of hours the chicken was the best I ever tasted in an a BIR succulent and almost juicy. For 1 KG of Chicken diced. Salt to taste about 1 TBS, Turmeric 1 TBS, Chili Powder to taste 1TBS, Tomato Puree 2 TBS. mix and and cover chicken by hand add then some oil and mix through.

For pre cooking place in oven for 25 minutes at 150 degrees. Check after 25 minutes its cooked through and and cool before  cleaning and  freezing or refrigerating. Having tasted the difference of it used fresh I will probably tend to cook from fresh with chicken.

Chicken Ticka Marinade. Cut 1 KG chicken thiner and longer for skewring. again Four hour minimum for marinading. Salt to taste 1 TBS, Lemon Juice 1 TBS ( recommended lemon dressing from most Asian stores ), Red Chili Powder ( Deggi Mirch MDH brand highly recommended for its taste and natural red colouring ), Garam Masala 1 TSP, Ticka Paste ( Pataks ) 2 TBS  Methi large pinch, Turmeric 1 TBS, Garlic Ginger Paste 100 GMS, Plain Yogurt 100 GMS, Mix and add some oil mix through and refrigerate for minimum of 4 hours before placing in oven at 150 degrees for 25/30 mins, checking after 25.

That is all I can do tonight. You can see what is used so far you may wish to experiment with the measures but these are the ingredients used.

To come, Chicken and Vegetable Pakora ( having searched for 30 years to get this right I am excited about what I learned unknown to me till yesterday ), Korma, Base sauce, Secret Onion Paste/Sauce and Best Bhuna I have ever tasted and more still.

I am only sharing it with you as it happened and as he choose to inform me. I can probably at some time go back to him if we need clarity. Cheers Panpot

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 11:15 PM »
Panpot you are a star - thank you for taking the time.

I've dipped in and out of this site for years as I'm sure many others have. I've not had much time to experiment for the last few years (business and kids!) but your first hand experience has got me exited ;D

Can't wait to hear about the base - most of the ones I've tried before (the most recent BE base and madras) have always turned out too much of a brown overly onion "pataks" sauce to put it bluntly. Although tasty, not what I'm looking for.

The blended green chilli sounds interesting. Garlic/ginger we knew about - although pre cooking I would never have thought of. Secret onion paste seems popular these days ;D ;D

I desparately hope you can come up with a good bir madras - that would be heaven for me.

Time to get the pans out I think - the wife will be pleased ::)

Cheers

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 11:47 PM »
Panpot, thanks for the info. Keep it coming!

Just trying to digest what you've shared so far, and I have a few quick clarifying questions:

- Their Tikka is baked? Not cooked in a Tandoor? Or is that just how he suggested doing it at home?
- They bake their pre-cooked chicken as well? That's a surprise
- Are you sure on the Tablespoon of salt in the tikka marinade and the pre-cooked chicken marinade? Does sound like a lot...

Thanks!

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 08:02 AM »
Secret Santa,

i guess the Ashoka i've been too in Lanchashire is part of the chain. in your's and my language it is
serving poshed-up BIR cuisine

the food and service i would rate both 9/10. the only thing that put me off was price and being able to find better value closer to home (60 mile rtn trip).

having said that i think we are in a minority. the place is packed out with great reviews locally and booking truly essential weekends.

Panpot,

simply beyond my wildest dreams. your are a star!

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 08:49 AM »
guys just a quick note. I am wondering like one or two of you whether the measurements of ingredients is right. The actual ingredients and processes are correct but it may needed some personal taste for amounts however I will be able to check back with him in due course. Hope this helps need to rush but lots to share. It was the experience of a lifetime. The bhuna he cooked was a dream and I think we have all we need to crack it especially the yellow base with hey vegetable margarine in.hey,hey.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 08:50 AM »
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing PanPot  8)

A couple of questions/observations if I may....

Garlic and Ginger Paste....For convenience pre cooked and preserved in the oil for up to 15 days. 70/30 proportion of Garlic and Ginger heated in oil and turmeric until begins to fry

I think this is the "yellow oil" (tumeric fried in oil) that Jerry has been referring to.

Quote from: panpot
Marinade. This is also universally used for either pre cooking chicken or cooking from fresh. for convenience it is used in pre cooked chicken however where possible the Chef recommended cooking it from fresh after marinading for at least four hours. He cooked me a Chicken Bhuna with it later and although only marinading for couple of hours the chicken was the best I ever tasted in an a BIR succulent and almost juicy. For 1 KG of Chicken diced. Salt to taste about 1 TBS, Turmeric 1 TBS, Chili Powder to taste 1TBS, Tomato Puree 2 TBS. mix and and cover chicken by hand add then some oil and mix through.

I'm surprised that there is 1 tbsp of chilli powder in it for 1kg of chicken?  Doesn't this make the chicken hot and therefore unsuitable for the milder dishes?

Ditto the tablespoons of other ingredients (1kg of chicken is only enough to serve 4).  Did you mean teaspoons perhaps?

For pre cooking place in oven for 25 minutes at 150 degrees

I'm also suprised that they pre-cook the chicken in an oven for 25 mins?

Chicken Ticka Marinade. Cut 1 KG chicken thiner and longer for skewring. again Four hour minimum for marinading. Salt to taste 1 TBS, Lemon Juice 1 TBS ( recommended lemon dressing from most Asian stores ), Red Chili Powder ( Deggi Mirch MDH brand highly recommended for its taste and natural red colouring ), Garam Masala 1 TSP, Ticka Paste ( Pataks ) 2 TBS  Methi large pinch, Turmeric 1 TBS, Garlic Ginger Paste 100 GMS, Plain Yogurt 100 GMS, Mix and add some oil mix through and refrigerate for minimum of 4 hours before placing in oven at 150 degrees for 25/30 mins, checking after 25

Ditto the chicken tikka!  Don't they use a tandoor?  How much chilli powder do they put in please?  100g of garlic ginger paste seems a lot for 1 kg of chicken?  :o

I look forward to your further reports Panpot...and thanks again  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 08:52 AM »
Ahhh...I see you've posted about the quantities in the meanwhile  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes