Author Topic: Ashoka at the Quay  (Read 62442 times)

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Hi panpot

i know your unindated with questions

but i think i speak for a lot of people here

what about the base my friend

mark

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 03:48 PM »
just grabbing a moment and having to use phone so please excuse typos. I am concerned about the measures and will check Iover the weekend if I can he may Hebe got mixed up though the actual ingrediants are as he did it for a demo. the cooking in the oven suprised me too but he was vey clear about it. It may well be that he was thinking practicaly foe us at home or combing that will practise in his own home. until we have ago we won't know if it will make a diference. Personaly having tasted the fresh cooked stuff with the Bhuna I will only pre cook for convenience but not for flavour I'd texture etc.  Will see if I can post more tonight though unlikely since the Champions League is on and my other love is still involved, just.

I did get some "secrets" in that Ihad never heard of the things before and without doubt the base is critical from there one base they cook evrything except patia and chasni and spiced garlic chicken. The cooked Garlic Paste and the onoin sauce come paste stuff is the thing though it is not the one I have referee to in Other posts, I now feel that has been a substitute for the real deal which they call bunjarra, at least that's how it sounds the assistant chef said it is what gives the food the real taste. I am having to rush but thinking I will get up ok the site as much as possible before the weekend so you can all experiment and let me know how you get on. I am working over the weekend and away from home so can't get started myself. Bear with me I know that from what I have and going back for a little clarity apart from obvious adjustments to the measures we will be at a new level in our results. I can't wait to hear how you all get on. Need to rush a frustrated panpot wanting his pots and pans.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 05:09 PM »
 Now Chicken Pakora. Chick pea flour, Methi, Chopped Coriander, Cumin Power, Salt, Red Chili Powder, water and mix into batter add chicken previously marinaded in the basic marinade. he urged to add water slowly and mix as you go. carefully place into oil for deep frying however half way through remove pakora and let it rest for 1 minute, this ensures that the chicken cooks through before placing back in oil to finish. He said that this break is critical in all Pakora and in all battered food.

Vegetable Pakora. (heaven) Onion, Spinach, Cauliflower, Potatoes, all chopped. Coriander seed, Cumin Seed, Red Chili Powder, Salt, Garam Masala.  Now this was where I got a breakthrough, he said we should mix it all together then let it rest for 30 minutes or so until it produces it's own water from the vegetables themselves. He said that it should not then need any further water other than a few sprinkles if need be. Their prepared ready for cooking mix looked perfect but he assured me no water was added and that by doing this the spices work their way into flavouring the vegetables, I do hope this is what I have been missing together with the 1 minute rest during frying.

Korma. Curry base and UHT single cream to taste and that is it. His assitant explained that the base sauce is so good and critical, as we all know though not every base I have tried could do Korma so we must be onto something if the base stacks up though the korma was great. He said you can add coconut for Ceylonese and other additions for different versions but it was good enough on it's own.

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Veggie pakora is a must try for me. I've noticed that water bleeds from onions so this make a lot of sense. I'll be trying this at the weekend.

Any chance of the pakora sauce ;-)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 09:50 PM »
No sugar in the korma? Its usually rather sweet, so is the base sweet at Ashoka?

Coconut I agree is optional. I've had it both ways.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 08:01 AM »
This is the most exciting thread for ages
This "base" sounds very similar to one I have come across
It can be eaten on it's own and is one of the best things you've ever tasted.
The place I know make korma by just adding a little cream to the base,too.
It's the base I really want to hear about
How do they do it?
Sorry for being impatient

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 06:53 PM »
i had an opportunity to try the garlic/ginger paste last night. i've been undecided which is best - fine chopped garlic on it's own or garlic/ginger paste 3:1. each has varying advantage/disadvantage to me.

i think this recipe has converted me to paste. i think the pre cooking takes "makes sure" the rawness is out of the ginger at completion of the dish frying stage. i could not detect ginger in the finished dish which is what i am after. in previous paste attempts there has always been as slight taste of ginger.

the recipe used was : garlic 100g, ginger 40g, oil 15 ml, water 120 ml, turmeric 5 ml.

i added the water to ensure it would blend well together. i appreciate water is not listed in the original recipe but don't see how it can be made without it.

for clarification the "yellow" oil i've been referring to recently is curry base oil.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 08:43 PM »
JerryM your a star for jumping in and testing this already I can post the photograph of their paste when I get back to my laptop on Friday. I know everyone wants the base recipe but let me share things as he gave me them since he thought very carefully before leading me through what was important for me to understand what was vital. I will provide what I can when I get the chance. 

So here is the Bunjarra or Banjarra I don't know how  to spell it but it sounded like either of these, it's the onion paste/sauce. Now the tub was seriously covered in very dark brown oil clearly coming from the caramelised onion and obviously conserves it for up to 15 days. They make big batches and broke it down to demonstrate with the quantities for two large Spanish onions. He did point out that while in the resteraunt they would only use Spanish onions at home for better taste he uses red onions. The portion of Spanish was two big ones so probably 4 red onions. anyway here's what he did for me.

About a cup of oil he recommended for health we use as he does at home sunflower though clearly cheap oil works too. Heat it up till hot for frying. Add large piece of Cinnamon, his was 4 inches long he wants big spice pieces for easy removal plus four bay leaves . He pointed out that he doesn't use smaller spices like cardomons or even cloves because with a finished dish finding either stuck between your teeth can completely ruin the balance of spices and ruin how you taste the food. Now once stored around and the aroma is released he added cumin seeds and once they were crackling he immediately added the chopped onion. He did say that some chefs will at some off the garlic/Ginger paste though he felt it unnecessarily complicated things. He stirred it all in the round about way scraping down from the sides. He pointed out that by doing this circling stir from the outside of the pan that the cooked onions would naturally move to the centre of the pot and the less cooked onions moved outwards to the edges where they would cook quicker . Constantly doing this led to a consistent browning until deep brown but not burnt but caramelised onions emerged. He then removed the Cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Sorry I have to go now butt will come back fairly soon to complete. Please forgive me I am away from home and without my laptop. I am using my mobile so forgive the crash typos but I hope they are obvious.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 09:26 PM »
Sorry back now, so the onions continue to brown you need to stay with them and keep stirring. Now add 1 chefs spoon of garlic/Ginger paste ( the one explained above ), TBS of turmeric, TBS of Salt, 1/2 TBS of garam masala, TBS Deggi Mirch ( red chili powder ), TBS of tomato puree, keep stirring. two chefs spoons of blended tin of plum tomatoes plus their tn juice. Continue to cook for 5-10 minutes after adding the tomatoes blend: Let oil come to top it should cover it so may need to add more. This oil can be used as oil for a curry dish to start the frying and that's it. I just know this is a major thing I have been missing I just sense it will replace the Secret ingredient onion paste.

Again I am sorry about typos but I wanted you to get this in good time for weekend experiments. I only wish I could be home doing my own. Base sauce next but maybe tomorrow I need to go, cheers Panpot:

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 11:18 PM »
Oh bloody hell this is like reading a good book......I WANT TO TURN THE PAGE AND GET TO THE BASE!!! ;D ;D

Well done panpot, this is definately a new approach to things. Can't wait for the weekend.

Cheers.

btw. you work too hard...take tomorrow off........get to your laptop and put me out of my misery. :P

©2024 Curry Recipes