Author Topic: Ashoka at the Quay  (Read 62465 times)

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 05:54 AM »
This is really exciting stuff!

I've been struggling with the idea of ingredients being cooked by boiling first and then frying, in my mind it should be the other way round and what i'm seeing here seems more logical to me (maybe thats too many years of cooking traditional indian food  ;D)

Anyway, I'm GLUED to this thread at the moment :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 08:15 AM »
i've got the chicken marinade on 24hrs for use tonight.

i will pre cook it my normal method: add to boiling water (i'd normally use 4tbsp base and 2 tbsp water mixture but will leave this out this time for comparison purposes), simmer 5 mins, leave to cool in the liquid (water).

Bunjarra or Banjarra

this is very similar to the onion paste - yet very different. with bay, turmeric, salt, toms, deggi the additional ingredients it's not that different. the key change for me is in the use of garam in place of tandoori masala. it's going to have to go some to beat the existing paste.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 08:39 AM »
JerryM , thanks again for posting photo I should be ably to get some up on Friday. The Bunjarra is the colour of HP sauce though covered in  oil the same colour caused by the very dark brown caramalisation of the onions, I hope this helps. It was also what I saw in the local TA as per my Bhuna post last Friday so I believe along with the pre cooked Garlic/Ginger paste is whatcI have been missing. Will share the base all going well tonight.

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 02:40 PM »
Panpot, this caramalised onion thing is for me the potential breakthrough ingredient(or not). I've had a hunch that the deep savoury I'm after (almost beefy) was from caramalised onions but i didn't follow it through to actual experimentaion.

I'm really hoping you have nailed it here.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2008, 06:09 PM »
I agree JerryM I really hope that this along with the pre cooking of the Garlic Ginger does what I have been looking for. On Sunday he cooked for me a fresh Bhuna using everything he explained or walked me through so unless he held something back the Bhuna was the best I ever tasted so we must be have it all. I need to get on with something else for now but will do what I can to post the base sauce tonight. Beyond that there is still lots of good stuff. His pre cooked lamb absolutely melted on the mouth and it sat in it's tub in a rich dark brown sauce. Thanks JerrM for testing I can't wait to get home and have a go myself.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Great thread I can't wait for the base.  How long was the cooking time on the onion paste\sauce, just until the on onions have browned? 

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2008, 06:46 PM »
I just had a thought that we could use the live chat room if Panpot is up for it and has the time?

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?action=chat

Set a time where you could be on for half hour and we all meet in and chat in real time, could work well or might be a complete mess but worth a try, what do you think PP?

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Hi Curry King I really appreciate your enthusiasm for this since Ive been a long time admirer of your contribution and recipes. He really paid a lot of attention to constantly stirring the onions as they caramelised he clearly had to get them to the really dark brown colour . He didn't give me a time since he was cooking live but I have recorded it so when I get a chance I can give the times between each stage and likewise with the Bhuna. I would be up for a live chat thing though my diary and travel commitments might mean a few weeks before I could but up for it never the less. I will find away in due course to edit the recordings and have them available to listen to. I have been listening to them on my phone over and over they really work for me. To be honest it flew by as you would expect and there is so much I wish I had asked him now like a recipe for madras though he said that the basic three sauces were all we need just spice preferences really after that. Guys like yourself can probably figure out what we do once we have the base, the pre cooked Garlic/Ginger paste come sauce and the onion paste sauce. Until I get some recipes from him other than what I allready have I would value what you guys surmise they would do for various dishes because he tells me everything we need is based on those sauces and the spices. I will post all in due course and will go back with questions and recipe requests when it feels right and I have the time. The pre cooked lamb was fantastic and something as an award winning chef he prides himself on. I hope to get the base on tonight but again please put up with the typos I am having to use my phone. Panpot

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2008, 09:34 PM »
In addition to the interest in the thread for a BIR perspective, it's a pretty good advert for an iPhone. I'd be there for a week typing that on my N95

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Jeers sorry for not posting Pakora Sauce before now. Yogurt, Chili powder, Salt, Mint Sauce, Tomato Ketchup, Milk, Sugar. Blend together. They made it in commercial tubs of yogurt so I have no idea of measures but comparing it to other posts will help us get it right.

Now the big one..........  Base Sauce

Base  Sauce,They made it in 60 litre pots I asked for a recipe for 6/10 litre pot so here is what he gave me and it seams accurate enough given the recipe for the big pot.

3 kgs of onions chopped into small pieces, 50 gms of Cumin powder, 60 gms of salt, water  to cover the onions and bring to the boil then cook till onions are tender. Never let dry out so add water when necessary. Add 100 gms of Tomato paste, 100 gms of the Garlic/Ginger paste, 10-20 gms of Chili powder (to taste but he recommended 10 since more can be added when cooking), 15 gms Curry powder, 20 gms Turmeric, 1 block of Coconut block, 250 gms Vegetable margarine (again he uses East End Brand) ,250 gms of oil. Blend and then simmer for I hour adding water when required. That's it he says the marg gives it melt in mouth smooth texture and creamy, it's one of the secrets. He is also not concerned about oil coming to top indeed the pot of base actually used for cooking that day had no oil up top and I will post photo hopefully tomorrow. Good luck I wish I could be preparing this over the weekend.

Still to come, Pre cooked Lamb, Jaipuri, CTM, Potato and Pea Curry .

©2024 Curry Recipes