Author Topic: Ashoka at the Quay  (Read 62354 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2009, 06:57 PM »
976bar,

i don't recognise it as a hot dish. i know in general terms that most BIR's achieve a "hot" variation by including slices of the fat green chillies in the dish. i don't personally think it needs the hot.

on the qty's i'm thinking for a 1st go to add the lemon at frying stage and leave out the mint (or add a spec at frying). this would allow me to reduce the mix qty substantially given as matt3333 says we are only looking at 4 tbs max per dish. i'd also be tempted to start at 1 tbsp - i would need to taste the mix before deciding. it's a very subtle sweet and sour that u're after.

i intend to use UB's pathi recipe as the starting point for the rest of the ingredients http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2526.0

would u believe i've never bought mango chutney before and will have to sauce some.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Assuming I've read the post by PP correctly the ingredients for the Patia sauce make  a large amount of which only a chef's spoon is used in the final dish leaving lots over for future dishes- So not so expensive.
M

If your're right, it answers my question on cost, then, but it also reminds me of a suggestion I made a few months back for clear recipes. I thought the Patia thing was a recipe. I didn't realise you need to go here there and everywhere to pick up elements/amendments/whatever before actually making use of the 'recipe' and, even then, you'll never be sure you have all the information needed and haven't missed anything.

Offline Curry on up the Kyber

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2009, 07:38 PM »
Thanks for the recipes, Panpot.

I will try Glasgow Chicken Chaat, chicken legs in Chasni sauce at the weekend.

Thanks so much for the effort!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2009, 10:22 PM »
I remember the first time I had pathia. I took a mouthful and thought wow that's just like a curried up version of the Chinese sweet and sour sauce I make. So I made one with white wine vinegar, sugar, and pineapple juice, those being the sweet and sour flavours in the Chinese version. It turned out exactly the same!

Adding pineapple juice seems logical to me as pineapple is used in other dishes, so what do they do with the juice?

I haven't tried the ashoka pathia mix, but it seems more complicated than what I'm used to.

Oh, and as for it being hot, well it never used to be but that seems to be the trend now.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2009, 08:11 AM »
i tried out the pathia for the 1st time last night - it offers much promise. the taste was very good - my (adapted UB's) recipe not quite there though.

recipe: oil 4 tbsp, onion 4 tbsp, pepper 2 tbsp, garlic 1 tsp, tom puree 1 tbsp + water, spice mix 1 tsp, salt 1/4 tsp, chilli 1/4 tsp, base 300ml, pathia mix (see below), frozen coriander 1 tbsp big pinch.

Nb i also added 4 tbsp passat and 2 off 1/8 fresh tomato - these i would leave out next time - made the dish too tomatoey.

Pathia mix - i made this as a single portion as my mango chutney was already blended as bought. in a cup:

mango - 1bsp
tom sauce - 2 tsp
mint sauce - tip of tsp
lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
water - 1 tbsp

the mix worked very well - i intend to stick to it ie don't see a need to change the proportions

a veg is missing from the recipe though i think - something like chives but i really have no idea. may have to get a pathia from the TA to get a better insight.

anyhow in short - many thanks Panpot. this really puts the icing on the variety of dishes i'm able top make. i think with a bit of work it's going to be fantastic. 

Offline Curry on up the Kyber

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2009, 11:32 AM »
Just to confirm, PP...

Is the Tomato Sauce-Ketchup?

Or is it blended tomatoes.

Cheers.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2009, 10:28 AM »
bunjarra woops! (or not)

for a good while now i'd not really been able to decide which recipe i liked best (the original or the Ashoka).

yesterday i realised why. i've been using tandoori masala in both recipes ie i've not used garam masala as per the ashoka spec.

effectively the difference in the recipes for me being the ashoka adding: bay leaf, turmeric, salt, blended tin toms, chilli to the original spec.

i don't know how i've never noticed as it''s very clear in my notes on the ashoka recipe. i think when i 1st would have made it i would have simply discounted the use of garam masala (the tandoori masala works spot on for me).

link to ashoka & original recipes:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3189.msg28519#msg28519
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3128.msg27899#msg27899

yesterday i tried adding a piece of casia in addition to the Cinnamon stick (read someone had added casia but i'm not sure who or where). i do like casia having used it for many years in place of Cinnamon (thinking wrongly that i did not like Cinnamon).

in short i will adopt for future albeit i have not cooked with it yet. the decision being solely on that i liked the extra dimension on taste that it brought.   

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2009, 07:50 PM »
I've been doing this now for over a year and the results are tremendous. I have chicken like its just been pulled from the bone. It doesn't matter if it is breast meat or otherwise either although of course thighs are just so melt in mouth.

I wish I had seen this post earlier. Very interesting Panpot, thank you very much.

I'm also suprised that they pre-cook the chicken in an oven for 25 mins?

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Last week I prepared for the first time the Masala base from the recipes above and cooked the recipe for Chicken Masala that the chef gave me and it was seriously good so good that my wife has requested it for today. So I intend to cook it along with Chicken Karahi above too. I do recommend these recipes they are genuine BIR recipes though as ever regional variation may determine how others rate them but as someone who has travelled extensively around the British Isles and made it my "duty" to have curries wherever I have been they still stand out. I don't believe anyone will be disappointed if you stick to the letter and have a go. So today we will have Pakora to begin folowed by both curries and pilou rice.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2009, 07:24 PM »
Cheers for including the pathia, chasni and jaipuri dishes dude  :)
I'm still using (my slight variation) of these ashoka recipes as i get 100% quality every time. I'm so comfortable with them i dont even measure most of the ingredients any more. Changing from hot chilli powder to kashmiri (deggi mirch) has also been a winner as you get the flavour without being choking hot.

I figured out the pathia technique and use almost the same ingredients as you mention (just not the mint sauce). I have found sugary sauces like chutney and ketchup help so much with the depth of flavour ('the missing 5%'). It's tempting to use them in all curries!
The fryed onion paste is one of these sauces of course. I tend to add sugar to the onions when cooking to make sure they caramelize properly. I suppose using onion chutney would work just as well as it is very similar.
I've just made some cassia-spiced apple chutney from the apple tree in my garden and it tastes beautiful. I'm looking forward to trying it in my next curry  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes