Author Topic: Post Away  (Read 10464 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Post Away
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 09:05 AM »
Chicken Tikka

Offline asafoetida

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 11:25 AM »
They turned out well.
I was so sure they would give off the restaurant aroma
They didn't, but everyone liked them

Did you sprinkle with chat masala and very finely ground roasted dried fenugreek leaves(after cooking is complete),and let the kebabs stand for a while then basting with plenty of ghee before finishing?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 07:52 PM »
asa - sounds like you know a lot about this, care to elaborate? (And welcome to cr0.co.uk by the way  :) )

Offline asafoetida

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 10:12 PM »
The Methi and Chat masala thing is done in my favourite establishments-you can use the leaves straight from the packet, but roasting in a very slow oven then grinding really improves the flavour-be warned that your house will smell like the Star of India for a few days.I can give a recipe for Chat Masala, but the ones you buy are probably even better-specially MDH, who make other great things too, specially the Rajmah masala which gives your food the true Dhaba taste!Tandoori foods are nearly always removed from the oven and moisture drained away for a few minutes bfore basting and returning-this gives the characteristic dry finish.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 08:10 AM »
The Methi and Chat masala thing is done in my favourite establishments-you can use the leaves straight from the packet, but roasting in a very slow oven then grinding really improves the flavour-be warned that your house will smell like the Star of India for a few days.I can give a recipe for Chat Masala, but the ones you buy are probably even better-specially MDH, who make other great things too, specially the Rajmah masala which gives your food the true Dhaba taste!Tandoori foods are nearly always removed from the oven and moisture drained away for a few minutes bfore basting and returning-this gives the characteristic dry finish.
I don't understand
Do you mean roast the dried fenugreek leaves and the chaat masala
Grind them both
Baste the tikka with ghee
Sprinkle with the ground spices
Grill again for a few minutes more?
Can you give a full recipe?
Have you had a restaurant demo?

Offline asafoetida

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 03:54 PM »
Sorry, not too clear, the (unroasted !) chat masala and methi are sprinled on just before the Kebabs are served. This is traditional delhi-Punjab practice nowadays- for the Kebabs, follow your taste-old lamb/mutton is necessary or it won't bind properly, don't use besan or any starch,I  prefer no onion,just garlic-ginger paste, salt, chilli powder, garam masala(home-ground with no cumin or coriander), green coriander and green chilli. 1 1/4 tsps of salt per lb of meat, of which 30-40% should be fat. work the meat very well,stirring with one hand in a single direction for several minutes, pick it up and throw it hard back into the bowl at least twenty times. Take a handful and push it onto the skewer, then flatten by putting your open palm around it then close it into a fist. Repeat all the way up the skewer, then make sure to round off the ends. Keep your hands slightly wet during the process. Most British Indian restaurants are staggeringly poor, so it's not difficult to do MUCH better at home1

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 04:14 PM »
Most British Indian restaurants are staggeringly poor, so it's not difficult to do MUCH better at home1

You might think this a little strange but the majority of people that frequent this forum know this yet still try to emulate it, me included  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes