Author Topic: My best BIR effort yet  (Read 6176 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
My best BIR effort yet
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, as I wasn't expecting it.... but I believe I've made my closest BIR replica yet.

On the Madras, as I think I posted before somewhere, since the Ashoka base (and associated recipes) came out, I felt I was getting further from BIR instead of closer. There was too much salt, too much garlic, and I was using too much bunjara. Tonight I went back to basics. I used the BE Madras recipe (very simple), with the following changes: 0.5 tsp g/g paste, Ashoka marinated chicken, Ashoka base, and 1 tbsp of (salt-reduced) bunjara. Everything else was as per BE. This was the closest BIR Madras I've ever done.

As an added bonus, I also made my best ever naan. I used the idea that came up on the forum of using a pizza stone. I preheated the stone in the oven to the maximum - 600 degrees fahrenheit in my case. I used UB's naan recipe, with an added dollop of yogourt. The results were BY FAR the best naan I've made: big and fluffy with crispy bits here and there. They cooked in about a minute. They also were cooked through, which is a problem I've had on the hob: if the tava is too hot they start to burn without properly cooking through at the edges. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this method!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My best BIR effort yet
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12 AM »
Well done!

I havn't tried Ashoka, but have suspected for a while that its success is down to bunjarra, rather than being any thing to do with the base.

Your madras sounds farily similar to 'mine', although I add 3 tbs of 'blitzed' tinned plum tomartos to sour, AFTER the base has gone in (so it does not fry-down and sweeten).  I think I'll try some salt reduced bunjarra too.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Nice one Josh, I think everyone should try the Ashoka recipes they are very good and with some tweaking may well become my standard.

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:24 PM »
good one joshallen2k

could you post the full recipe for us trainees?

many thanks

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:14 PM »
I've been using a mix and match approach as well. I was going to do another Ashoka base but forgot to get some coconut block so did a BE base but replaced half the oil with marg and very nice it turned out too. The simple madras style curries with added banjarra and this base have been excellent, even if I say so myself!
CoR

Offline chowie

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:29 PM »
Hmmm Josh, I've looked around this site today, just some questions/catch up.

The Ashoka base seems straight forward enough, no problem.

BE Madras, very simple, no problem.

The Ashoka Marinated Chicken no problem.

The Bunjara, new one on me, but looks Ok to make, but what do I do with it after, were do I use it, in the base or at final cooking stage and how much?

Any more tips on this Madras method appreciated, it all sounds exciting.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 12:00 AM »
The Madras method goes something like this:

- Heat the pan on medium and add 4 tbsp of veg oil (or oil skimmed off the bunjara)
- Add 0.5 tsp of garlic/ginger paste (I just used standard bottled) and fry until rawness is gone
- Add a heaping tsp of tomato puree and stir well for about a minute
- Add a heaping tsp of spice mix (I used BE), a tsp of hot chilli powder, a pinch of methi (crush between fingers), and a pinch of salt; stir and shake continuously until spices are aromatic
- Raise the heat to high, and add 2 tbsp of base gravy (I used standard Ashoka), then add the chicken (I used marinated Ashoka, raw). Part of the trick when using raw chicken is to keep the portion single serving. Stir continuously for about a minute until the chicken is visibly sealed
- Add a tbsp of Ashoka bunjara and stir in
- Add the base gravy a few tablespoons at a time, until you've added about 250-300ml of base. I like to keep the base simmering in a separate pot to draw from, to keep the boil going in the curry pan
- About halfway through adding the base, add 1 tsp of lemon juice, and two tomato quarters
- After the base, add about a tbsp of chopped coriander and stir
- At this point I turn the heat off (on my hob it will gradually decrease the boil over about a 5 minute period)

Finished!

Do try the pizza stone naan method. No more pan-frying for me.

-- Josh

Offline chowie

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 12:26 AM »
The Madras method goes something like this:

- Heat the pan on medium and add 4 tbsp of veg oil (or oil skimmed off the bunjara)
- Add 0.5 tsp of garlic/ginger paste (I just used standard bottled) and fry until rawness is gone
- Add a heaping tsp of tomato puree and stir well for about a minute
- Add a heaping tsp of spice mix (I used BE), a tsp of hot chilli powder, a pinch of methi (crush between fingers), and a pinch of salt; stir and shake continuously until spices are aromatic
- Raise the heat to high, and add 2 tbsp of base gravy (I used standard Ashoka), then add the chicken (I used marinated Ashoka, raw). Part of the trick when using raw chicken is to keep the portion single serving. Stir continuously for about a minute until the chicken is visibly sealed
- Add a tbsp of Ashoka bunjara and stir in
- Add the base gravy a few tablespoons at a time, until you've added about 250-300ml of base. I like to keep the base simmering in a separate pot to draw from, to keep the boil going in the curry pan
- About halfway through adding the base, add 1 tsp of lemon juice, and two tomato quarters
- After the base, add about a tbsp of chopped coriander and stir
- At this point I turn the heat off (on my hob it will gradually decrease the boil over about a 5 minute period)

Finished!

Do try the pizza stone naan method. No more pan-frying for me.

-- Josh

Thanks Josh  ;D,

I will probably pre cook my chicken and add base by the ladle. Everything is pretty much the same as I've done before,  just adding the Bunjara is gonna be a new one for me. Gonna try 1/2 that base to (Ashoka)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:49 AM »
Chowie - good luck with it.

Before you start with the bunjara, many who have tried it noticed that the recipe "as is" is very salty. Cut it in half.

-- Josh

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 07:32 AM »
Thanks too Josh, until I can get back to the Ashoka (as I am mostly out of the country) I have been looking for this kind of experimentation to expand my Menu. I will have a go with your Madrqs soon, though constantly on the road just now. Chowie it's definitely the case that the Bunjara recipe as given to me has too much salt. I am absolutely sure the Chef will change it. He had like Josh the base simmering and added it as he needed it and does use precooked chicken for business but advised us to cook from raw as it will be much more succulent. Hope this helps and good luck. Panpot

©2024 Curry Recipes