Author Topic: Josh's Restaurant Naan Bread  (Read 20458 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Josh's Restaurant Naan Bread
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Hi Josh,

Just checked my oven and it seems that the max setting is 250c which equates to 482f.

Will this be hot enough?  Hope so, I would really like to give these naans a try.  They are without doubt, the best looking naans on cr0 but I'd love to actually taste one.

I think when we get all the onion bhaji results in, and Chris publishes them, naans are next on the agenda.  So, If you don't mind, I would like to put your naans forward for the group test, but if the heat is crucial to their success, I don't know if all the testers could achieve that kind of temp with their ovens?

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Razor,

give the granite a go. although i have a piece i never got to try it - down to the amount of heat mass that i wanted. the granite i have is about 10mm thk where as the tiles are just over 20mm. the tiles are cheap.

on material i understand granite to be just as good as most.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I think I will give it a go, mines about 25mm thick, my only dilema is, is it probable that the granite is glazed or polished?  Glazed is not good, as it will contain lead and once heated up, it will transfer to the naan.

Polished on the other hand will be just fine ;D Just hope it doesn't shatter :o

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 02:43 PM »
Glazed is not good, as it will contain lead and once heated up, it will transfer to the naan.

I've been using a thin sheet of aluminium foil in between my granite sheet and naan bread. I figure that 0.00001mm or whatever of fast-conducting aluminium is not going to cause an issue for heat conduction to the base, so I prepare the naan on the aluminium foil and then lift it on to the pre-heated granite slab. This would serve to prevent any contact between naan and risky glaze and it also makes it easy to remove the foil and bread after cooking.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 04:51 PM »
I figure that 0.00001mm or whatever of fast-conducting aluminium is not going to cause an issue for heat conduction to the base,
Ah, but what about 0.012mm of the same foil, George, which is what my trusty 1" Moore & Wright tells me ours is  :)

** Phil.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Just checked my oven and it seems that the max setting is 250c which equates to 482f.

Will this be hot enough?  Hope so, I would really like to give these naans a try.  They are without doubt, the best looking naans on cr0 but I'd love to actually taste one.

I think when we get all the onion bhaji results in, and Chris publishes them, naans are next on the agenda.  So, If you don't mind, I would like to put your naans forward for the group test, but if the heat is crucial to their success, I don't know if all the testers could achieve that kind of temp with their ovens?

Ray - I'm really not sure how much bearing on the end result the oven temperature actually would have. I just baked them at as high a temp as possible to most closely mimic the conditions in a tandoor. But definitely give them a try with your oven as is.

If naan breads are up for group testing, I'd surely like these as part of the test. I have made a few minor tweaks to the recipe, so I'd like to repost the changes before testing.

Cheers,
Josh

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Hi Josh,

Thanks to George's confirmation, I decided to give my granite block a try.  I set my oven to 250c and placed my block on the middle shelf.  I let this heat up for a good hour.

Although I really need to brush up on my naan making skills, I think for a first effort, they turned out really good.

I think next time, I will roll the dough out to about 5ml thick, as I went too thin this time, and the naans turned out crispy in places, still, the taste was bang on.

Many thanks Josh, good recipe.

Granite block heating up,

Finished naan brushed with garlic and coriander butter.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Razor, you mentioned in a previous post that you were unsure if using your granite block was safe - did you resolve this dilemma?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Razor, you mentioned in a previous post that you were unsure if using your granite block was safe - did you resolve this dilemma?

I figured that my granite block was polished rather than glazed, so I went for it, and it worked a treat.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 08:55 PM »
Hey Razor i will be making these using my pizza stone next weekend, for your garlic and coriander butter do you have a quick recpie you use for it and do you just brush it on as soon as you take the nan out?

Cheers

Garry

©2024 Curry Recipes