Author Topic: Atul Kotchar  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Atul Kotchar
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Did anybody see him on the Saturday Kitchen programme today.  He was 'chatting' live on the web after the show.  Here is a transcript of what he said.  It may be of interest.  My question is in red:

Daniel Boardman (St Andrews): It is my grandfathers 70th birthday this friday and I was wondering if you had any ideas for some canopays?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): You make some nice chicken tikka, samosas and onion bhajis.
richard (hednesford): Hi Atul, great fan of your food. which spices benefit from dry frying before grinding?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Most of the spices qualify for this. This process removes extra moisture from spices, but coriander and cumin benefit a lot from this.
John  (Falkirk): Loved the programme, whats the way to cook perfect basmati rice?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): My personal preference is to just have boiled basmati rice, but if you wish to make pilau, you can check out my recipe on the BBC Food website.
David (Wales, UK): Hi Atul.  I understand Indian restaurants make a generic curry base for all thier curries.  Could you give a base recipe please?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Most of the good Indian restaurants have different sauces for different dishes. If you are after a basic curry sauce, then the way to make it is saute whole spices (you can use cumin, cinnamon, cardomon, cloves, bay leaves), then add chopped onions. Add a ginger-garlic paste and powdered spices (turmeric, coriander and red chilli), add chopped tomatoes and cook it through. There you have the basic sauce.

Tim (Kettering): When making a curry is there a set method for cooking the ingredients? ie where and when do the onions, spices go in?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Yes. The sequence is that the whole spices go first. Then onions, then the ginger-garlic paste, then powdered spices and then tomatoes. That's it!
Jayne (Glasgow): Hey Atul, What is your favourite Meal?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Thai cuisine is my favourite. So anything Thai.
John (Lancashire): hi atul, what can I use in curries in place of coconut (due to food intolerance)
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Try yoghurt, but do not bring the sauce to boil.
Shameela (London): Atul, are your restaurants halal?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Some meats are and some aren't. Always ask the waiter.
Jackie (Sydenham,London): Is king prawn on puree authentic and if so how can i make it?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): It's authentic British!
Jane Smith (Healing, grimsby): I have coeliac disease but adore indian food. Are most sauces thickened with gram flour or is wheat flour widely used in indian cuisine?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Always mention it to the waiters when eating in Indian restaurants as some chefs, trying to be creative, could have used something different.
Phil (Waslall ,West Mids): Hi Atul. How do i make Gulab Jahms please.
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Please check out James' recipe which is on the website.
john (sheffield): what are the best chillys to use in a curry
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Mild ones.
John Tinkler (Kildare , near Dublin.): Atul, Can you repeat the name of your Dublin resturant.
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Ananda.
dixi (swindon): what is your favourit vegg book?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): I haven't written one yet! I like Gregg Wallace's veggie books - he's written a couple and I think they're inspirational.
Sarah (Norwich): Do you have any Atul-ish methods for updating the classic british roasted vegetable selection for a Sunday Roast?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): I love serving cumin potatoes instead normal spuds and also while roasting vegetables I like to spice it with bay leaves, cloves and pepper.
Alan (Dunfermline): Looking at today's fish pie I would tend to add a little cummin - do you thnk that would work
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Absolutely.
Pipi (Windsor): I am doing a junior master chef competition, what would be a good dessert to do in under an hour?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): A great classic - bread and pudding with a twist. Let it be your imagination....
Jim Morgan (Hamilton): Going to Brick Lane for a curry with London friends. Any you would recommend?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Ravi Shankar is my favourite one there.
Bill (Chesire): Do you do any cookary schools?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): I do masterclasses at Benares and Vatika.
Joanne (Maidstone): Do you eat differently at home to what you serve in your resturants?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Yes I do. I prefer simpler food at home.
Al (Stirlingshire): Atul, what does Ananda mean?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): It means "eternal joy" (according to Buddhist philosophy)
Mayan (Wolverhampton): Hello Atul, where would a good place to start to pursue a more in depth understanding differing regional indian cuisine. would you reccomend any courses i could take?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): In the UK there isn't any, but if you're visiting India, you can browse on the web to find several available.
Janet (Bury, Lancashire): Hi Atul, sorry lost my connection.  What is spring roll pastry and how do yoou make it please?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): It's generally best bought.
Hitch (Kettering): What are the ingredients for Naan? I've tried loads of combinations with no success.
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Manju Mahli's a good chef, try hers: ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/naanbreads_77147.shtml
Gill (Cheshire): What is ur idea of food heaven? and what is ur idea of food hell?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Food heaven is seafood and food hell, I haven't thought of it much!
Alan (Dunfermline): What types of dishes would you generally use black cardomon in rather than green
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Mainly with heavy meat curries. You could use a combination.
susan (sheffield): Hi atul...could you please tell the shops which sell buffallo meat in england
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Browse online to find a supplier - I know there are several.
Helen (Orkney): Hi Atul, How are you? How do you like your Eggs?
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Still learning omelettes!
aud (hereford): name a couple of easy recipee indian cook books
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Manju Mahli's a good author and another one is Mrivula Baljekar. They have written several.
Atul Kochhar (GUEST): Thanks for all your questions. See you all on Saturday Kitchen again soon!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile

©2024 Curry Recipes