Author Topic: Mushroom sauce very old recipe  (Read 1821 times)

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Mushroom sauce very old recipe
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:57 PM »
My nan who owned a farm near bridgnorth made for breakfast a mushroom sauce from a very old recipe handed down to her and then to me it tastes great but not good for the old cholesterol ;D the recipe is as i remember is.
 3-4 OLD FIELD MUSHROOMS FULLY OPEN(NOT BUTTON)
 NOB LARD (sometimes not used if the bacon is really fatty and makes own juices)
 4-6 RASHES HOME CURED BACON (put on breakfast at end)
 1/2 PINT GOLD TOP MILK
 pinch TEASPOON SALT
 PINCH PEPPER
 CORN FLOUR TO THICKEN
METHORD
 Put the lard in a frying pan add the bacon and cook when bacon cooked take out get a small saucepan add the oils from the frying pan turn heat to low add the milk chop the mushrooms and add to the saucepan add salt pepper leave to cook slowly for 10-15 mins or until mushrooms have cooked it will now have turned a grayish colour if it seems thin add some cornflour to thicken.As a small boy i loved this sauce and are really glad to still have the recipe to use.
           Andy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mushroom sauce very old recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:51 PM »
chilli head,

u've clearly built up a diversity of cooking talents.

i've never thought of mushroom sauce for breakie - sounds intriguing. what would be the the rest of the breakie to go with it.

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:04 PM »
we used to have the bacon a egg from the hens that were let out to roam the farm every morning. if there where potatoes left from the dinner the day before she would slice them and fry. fry some bread. The fryed bread tasted great when it was soaked in the mushroom sauce on the plate.there was no oil used only lard and dripping and fats from the bacon.All these flavours are being lost to the old colesterel scares and good living guides. how many people now use bisto or some other just add water gravy i remember my nan using the stock from the beef to make it i carn't remember the other bits but it tasted good.
If you like mushrooms give it a try and let me know what you think?
    Thanks Andy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 07:40 PM »
chilli head,

will try it out when we're next on hols - sounds well worth ago.

well agreed on the need to use stock for gravy - i must admit i do spoon the fat off the top though having been thoroughly cholestralised. everything in moderation so even the gold top gels nicely.

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Yeah Jerry must admit i don't use much ghee these days and try to cook my chicken off by boiling it with spices and onions it works well and his better for you.
but for that real taste you got to blow the cholesterol of the chart ;D and use the strong stuff ghee.
              Andy

©2024 Curry Recipes