Author Topic: What to look for when buying rice - any tips  (Read 56118 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
What to look for when buying rice - any tips
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:16 AM »
i bought my next 20kg bag of basmati rice last night (i don't actually use it for curry though preferring naan). what was of interest was the store has organised the rice so that u can see it all at one gone. quite a pile to say the least - the problem was there were 20 different varieties.

it dawned on me that i haven't a clue on how to pick the wood from the chaff.

a chappy hauled a 45kg monster in his trolley and clearly seemed to know what he was looking for.

would appreciate any thoughts/advice/tips.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: What to look for when buying rice - any tips
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:25 AM »
sainsburys finest basmati. or tesco finest range basmati. its small grain like bir style

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:51 AM »
The term basmati seems to have become a sort of "generic" term for long grain rice grown pretty much anywhere in the sub-continent, a bit like cheddar cheese here. The T/As and BIRs will I presume just buy the cheapest they can that says basmati on the bag but the difference from the cheapo stuff and the real thing is night and day, just like supermarket cheddar compared to a proper farmhouse cheese.
Real basmati is only grown in specific regions and only harvested once yearly and must be aged before sale to be at its best. Anything labeled "Pakistani Basmati" or "genetically tested (?modified?)" is phoney and will not taste as good as one of the reputable brands.

Have a look here http://www.tilda.com/ for more info.

BTW JerryM, if you don't use it for curries what on earth are you going to use 20kg of rice for??

Regards
CoR
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:04 PM by CurryOnRegardless »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11 PM »
sorry, probably need to clarify a bit more - i'm probably being a bit too boffy and should get out more.

the last bag i had was spot on. it is labled: brand - Shahmir, origin - Pakistan, description - Super Kernal Basmati, Extra Long Grain rice, Premium Quality

the new bag is labled: brand - Chenab, origin - Pakistan, description - Best Quality (i'll add the rest that sold it at the end).

the big question for me is sort of: is Pakistan the best place or is India as there are plenty of brands from there to. also what does the kernal have to do with it.

i guess i need an idiot's guide to what to look for on the packageing.

this is what sold the current bag: under description, "In the foothills of mighty Himalayas soft beds are prepared in fertile fields and seeds are sown with bare hands. Plants are watered by the monsoon rains and natured by seasonal sunshine. Although Pakistan produce around 4 million tons rice annually, only 250,000 tons are different types of rice and of this only a fraction is the delicate best quality variety. Whereas ordinary rice has a yield of about 6000 lbs per acre, the different rice give only 2100 pounds. the finest of the rice types, popularly known as best quality rice has a yield of only 1100 pounds per acre, yet this comparitively low yielding grain is much sort after for its culinary excellence, superior grain length and fragrance. Unsuccessful attempts have been made to grow rice in other parts of the world but it's genuine home is the punjab area of the Indian sub continent where it flourishes at its best among the rain fed basins of Ravi and Chenab rivers. Chenab brand is beyond comparison with other types of rice which are generally available and we know that once our customers have tried it they will never willing accept an inferior brand".

clearly i've answered my own question but just in case i can't find the Chenab next time what are the key essentials to look out for.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Take a look at this

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/the-heat-is-on-investigators-discover-that-half-the-basmati-rice-sold-in-britain-is-adulterated-733815.html

Obviously the article is from a while ago and the industry has introduced stricter guidelines but there is no "official" enforcement and nothing to suggest things have improved much. Basically I suppose if it cooks ok and smells ok then it probably is ok but good basmati is never going to cheap.

CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:23 AM »
CoR,

many thanks for the links. will give them a good read.

it's not the money. i'm happy to pay for the top notch stuff. the trouble is in buying a big bag then it's a long time in the eating if it's not the real mcoy.

the difficulties i've found in the past is along with taste the more inferior rice does not cook as easily "consistently" with the result that the texture can be both soft and gritty.

in terms of use - i pretty much live on the stuff when not eating curry - i'm not a real fan of potato unless it's chipped. i use it in a sort of salmon & rice dish, chilli, thai green curry, chicken basque and as plain boiled rice generally.

many thanks for the links.

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Most Indian/Pakastani home cooks think of Basmati like we think of fine wine, as in not all brands are equal and there some disagreement (personal preferences) between the best ones.

When I'm shopping for Basmati, I go to the Indian/Pakastani shop (where the best brands are) and look for aged rice from the Punjab area of India, Basmati improves with age because it gets drier and less sticky when cooked.

You could always ask the shopkeeper because they will know which brand is the best. As with most things you get what you pay for but since Basmati is cheap anyway just buy the most expensive one and you wont go far wrong.

Hope this helps.

Craig :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 12:03 PM »
I always use East End Royal Basmati rice....always perfect every time and no need to rinse...flavoursome and aromatic....

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Currymonster,

when u say aged rice i guess it states this on the packet. many thanks on rest of advice. i have asked the shopper keeper in the past and gradually got to know that only one of the staff knows his rice so to speak and he was not in the other night hence my dilemma.

Domi,

will check if the place i buy has the East End brand (i don't think it does as i know the name East End brand from buying the marg for the ashoka base)

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Jerry,

I think it normally states 'Aged' on the bag (i haven't got a bag to check against at the moment)

©2024 Curry Recipes