Author Topic: Curry Kings Madras  (Read 12207 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Kings Madras
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 08:28 AM »
i use CA's link no 1 for the base and this for madras http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1454.msg12717.html#msg12717

there is no nice listing of ingredients.

i found the various posts a tantalising read but each to his own.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 06:48 PM »
HI all,

I found it worked great with the Ashoka base and my own which can be found here:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=179.0

The only thing I would add about my base is to simplify things make each spice measurement and the salt a tablespoon rather than a heaped desert spoon.  The minimal spicing in the curry itself can handle a well spiced base so the base should be pepped up a bit.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 09:41 PM »
Thanks for the info on measurements CK. You say you have used the Ashoka base, while Bobby Bhuna dismisses it. Would love to know why there is two differing views. I suppose we are all trying for the same taste, but living in different parts of the world and each one of us has differing taste buds, we will never really agree on that definitive taste.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 07:34 AM »
for info i've added a pic of "red" version madras. alas the madras is not one of mine.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 07:56 AM »
You say you have used the Ashoka base, while Bobby Bhuna dismisses it. Would love to know why there is two differing views.

Real interesting question and one i'm currently trying to get a better feel for. what i do know is there seems to be a threshold above which any base has the potential to produce a very good curry. there are also some specific ingredients that people either gel with or not (eg coconut, marg, celery). for me there are 2 areas that are of particular interest - veg & spice. on veg for example i know fresh coriander makes a difference, i'm still undecided on say green pepper, carrot is essential (for me). on spice i know basic spicing works (coriander, turmeric and paprika & cumin to suit personal taste). i also know the addition of curry powder and garam sometimes works but not always.

in short i'm not sure your question can be answered. the main difference in the ashoka is the use of marg which i've adopted in all bases i make. once u've made the ashoka u can pick out the marg in the photo of the red madras i added. how widespread it's use is i don't know. i know a lot of members were not impressed with it either. into the personal taste buds i guess.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 04:27 PM »
I'm going for this tonight, and will let you know how I get on.... I am using the Bruce Edwards base as I have a batch left.......

©2024 Curry Recipes