Author Topic: chicken piri piri  (Read 20637 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: chicken piri piri
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 11:15 AM »
This may seem an odd question but if I use fresh piri piri chillies, do I still use the same amounts?

976, do you remove the skin prior to scoring or cook with skin on?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Axe,

i would taste the individual chilli and then decide how many to use - the dish does not need to be too hot to work. perhaps use half then taste once the marinade has done 24hrs just before adding to the chicken. i use 30 ml of cut chilli or typ 20 off but it really depends on how hot the chilli are and your own taste buds.

leave the skin on and score it lightly is a must. i only use the whole bird method now. i cook it very slowly on the gas bbq. i've not kept record of how long but it takes longer than you would expect. i think i've cooked for 2 hrs and it's still been underdone. i aiming for 3 hrs this time so the bbq has to be very low flame.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Thanks Jerry, I will have to suck it and see for now as i've got all inpatient on it. Knocked up the Molho earlier and it's been on the chicken ever since. I used just under the required amount of chili, which was from Tesco and in brine.

The smell is fantastic and will be cooking the chicken in a preheated grill. My eldest daughter has sleep over tonight, is have done two whole birds. Skin on a scored with Molho well and truly massaged in.

Serving on salad as suggested with roasted Mediterranean veg. Pics an report to follow. Really looking forward to it.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Axe,

hope all goes well. long slow cooking is the key. it's also important to give it a real good bash (rolling pin) to flatten it out as much as possible to get an even cooking thickness - otherwise the breast tends to cook before the bone meat. the scoring helps on this front to an extent.

for info i've settled on using whisky in preference to brandy. i also cook the molho in the microwave for ease (5 min bake with cling film over to keep the flavours locked in).

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Quick update, the remaining Molho, about 200ml is in a jar. I've just given it a very thorough shake and taste tested it. Boy, is that ever good! It's certainly got some kick to it but it's a good kick not an evil tongue stripping kick.

The chicken is on the go and I am basting every 15 mins or so. All is looking good so far. I am expecting the cooking to temper the chilli a little, so the Molho will be going to the table.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 10:26 PM »
976, you sir are a steely eyed missile man, this recipe is simply fantastic! It's really well balanced and the lemon cut's through just enough to zing the fresh kick from the Piri Piri Chillies.

Will I be doing this again? Oh yes!

Jerry, cooking time was roughly 1 hour under a medium grill on bottom level. Just for interest, I tested the oven temp within the grill and it was 200c give or take.

Molho

Chicken Marinaded

Piri Piri Chicken

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 06:31 AM »
Hi Axe, That does look really good. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 09:08 AM »
i think it's Portuguese not Indian.

This is interesting but is it in the right place under Indian recipe requests?

I've had one request to move the thread to "talk about anythng other than curry". I originally promised not to edit, delete, move or change anything on the forum, other than pure spam.  If I get a few more votes for a move here, on this thread, and no significant voices against, then perhaps I should move the thread. What do you think? I'd then remove this post and any related 'housekeeping' posts. We could call it democratic moderation by referendum.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 11:01 AM »
George, It shouldn't be in the Curry section it should be in the "Talk about anything but curry section" It is a Portuguese recipe after all :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Hi Axe, That does look really good. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

We did very much so. What I found interesting is the Molho on it's own is, shall we say, 'an aquired taste', but cooked out it really does work very well indeed.

George, i'm starting to think we need a 976 recipe topic but moving this topic for now, gets my vote ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes