Author Topic: Kris Dhillons Lamb Pasanda  (Read 12962 times)

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Kris Dhillons Lamb Pasanda
« on: May 27, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Having recently bought KD's New Curry Secret, I thought I'll give her Lamb Pasanda a go. This was my first attempt at anything by Kris Dhillon, as this is the first book of hers that I own.
First I made her Garam Masala, then her base. The base is very lightly spiced and I think this will work with the milder curries, such as Korma's and Pasanda's.
On to the Badami Lamb Pasanda itself. The inclusion of the Garam Masala completely The changes I will make on the next attempt are, omitting the Garam Masala and will add some sugar to sweeten it a little, how much not sure, as it will be trial and error, Will post the results when I have it to what I'm used to from the BIR's.
This is my favourite curry when i don't fancy something hotter.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Dhillons Lamb Pasanda
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Should  read,
on to the Badami Lamb Passanda itself. The inclusion of the Garam Masala really changes the taste to what I'm used to from a BIR, The changes.........

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 08:07 AM »
qprbob,

have u got any branded garam and if so compared the 2. would be interested in your thoughts. i've found an immense difference. since getting the branded i make the ashoka korahi bhuna a lot which uses garam as the spice. before that i'd stopped full stop using garam in dish cooking.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:19 AM »
That's an interesting point. Haven't used branded yet only ever Pat Chapmans  and now Kris Dhillons. Before I got into serious curry making I used Shwartz. When my parents visit me in June, I will get them to bring some over, possibly TRS, MDH and Raja  . Have you tried any of these brands?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 07:51 AM »
Any of those brands would be fine. I'm using East End at the mo as it was recommended in the Ashoka recipe.

i feel it would be well worth trying one out. the 1st thing that struck me was the difference in colour. my home made (starting point KD and then worked on much) was always very dark c/w almost very light for the branded - the taste difference is stark - not in quality but in taste. i think it's down to the ingredients - East End list's coriander, cumin, black pepper, cardamom (i think green), cinnamon, dry ginger, bay leaves, cloves.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:44 AM »
been having a little read up on this.

would appreciate your thoughts. i've never tried this dish believing it to be a "korma". the question is - is it really that different.

i've looked in my 2 fav TA menu to find:

"marinated chicken or lamb cooked with almond powder, coconut and fresh cream"

"chicken tikka cooked with cashew nuts, pistachio nuts and almonds in a delectable fresh cream sauce".

both are sitting well for me - probably the 1st better due to the coconut. i also noted in KD1 the use of fresh coriander in place of mint. do u have a preference for which works best - i would normally go for coriander but the mint does sound interesting. is there an option to use both?

have u tried evap milk in place of cream.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:59 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 04:48 PM »
JerryM

That was my first attempt at a Passanda. As said previously, I often have this dish when I fancy something without heat. It is  a mild creamy dish similar to a Korma, but does taste completely different. In the traditional Passanda the lamb is marinated in red wine. Only once in a BIR have I had it, where you could taste that it had been marinated in wine.

Back to Kris's Lamb Passanda, my next attempt I intend to use the SnS2008 Base but with reduced chili powder in the base. I also intend to use condensed milk instead of cream, as this will make it a little sweeter, and hopefully nearer to what I'm used to. One other thing i will do, is to first reduce the amount Garam Masala and then omit it completely. Once finished I will be able to compare the two side by side.
If all goes well and I achieve that BIR taste, I will post the final recipe with photos, if not it's back to further tries. Not good for the wasteline.  :(

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:51 AM »
qprbob,

many thanks for reply.

how did u feel the mint compared to using coriander. i've only ever used coriander in curry but realise that's not a good reason for not perhaps trying mint in this dish (or even 50:50).

i too feel i need a something without heat for now and again. my next challenge is keema naan but after that i'll give it a go too.

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:41 AM »
JerryM

That was my first attempt at a Passanda. As said previously, I often have this dish when I fancy something without heat. It is  a mild creamy dish similar to a Korma, but does taste completely different. In the traditional Passanda the lamb is marinated in red wine. Only once in a BIR have I had it, where you could taste that it had been marinated in wine.

Back to Kris's Lamb Passanda, my next attempt I intend to use the SnS2008 Base but with reduced chili powder in the base. I also intend to use condensed milk instead of cream, as this will make it a little sweeter, and hopefully nearer to what I'm used to. One other thing i will do, is to first reduce the amount Garam Masala and then omit it completely. Once finished I will be able to compare the two side by side.
If all goes well and I achieve that BIR taste, I will post the final recipe with photos, if not it's back to further tries. Not good for the wasteline.  :(

Hi JerryM, I like condensed milk as a product, I use it for making ice-cream.  It sounds awful for a curry.  How did it turn out?  Kris

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:44 AM »
JerryM

Back to Kris's Lamb Passanda, my next attempt I intend to use the SnS2008 Base but with reduced chili powder in the base. I also intend to use condensed milk instead of cream, as this will make it a little sweeter, and hopefully nearer to what I'm used to. One other thing i will do, is to first reduce the amount Garam Masala and then omit it completely.

Once finished I will be able to compare the two side by side.

Hi qprbob, I have never heard of wine being used in Indian cooking and I feel it gives completely the wrong taste for curries.  Have I missed something?  Kris

©2024 Curry Recipes