Author Topic: Chicken Madras survey  (Read 5946 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Madras survey
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Do you use a Chicken Madras recipe which you reckon is almost as good as most BIRs, or perhaps even better for your taste? If so, please spend about 30 seconds to respond to the following 2 questions:

Q1 Please provide a brief description (not the recipe itself) for your all-time favourite Chicken Madras as at right now:

e.g. "Darth's 100% clone exact (no changes) with Darth's base (no changes)"

or "a Pat Chapman recipe (with my changes) with Ashoka base (no changes)."

Q2 Is the exact recipe already posted in its entirety (base and final curry) on this forum?

OPTIONAL
If you can spend more a bit more time, please answer the following questions as well

Q3 If the entire recipe is already posted, does it include any recipe options/choices, e.g. choice of oils or some other ingredients?

Q4 Please provide any additional insight into your choice of your current favourite Chicken Madras.

Logically, you can only have ONE favourite for the purpose of this survey - like the recipe you'd make if half a dozen forum members were coming round for dinner next week and you really wanted to impress! All recipe options and variations would go out of the window and you'd have to go for something specific. It's that specific recipe which I'm keen to hear about. Is that recipe already posted here in the exact form which you would make? Please answer at Q2 above.

This thread is a survey to help gauge the possible need for uploading new, updated recipes of many dishes, including chicken madras.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras survey
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:53 AM »
Here are my responses to my own questions:

A1 "Darth's 100% clone (with changes) with MarkJ's base (with changes)"

A2 The underlying recipes are posted here, but not my changes (in recipe format).

A3 The recipe is not posted.

A4 I seldom make this dish but this recipe is my favourite out of the few I've tried. I'd say it's only 90% as good as the chicken madras at the best BIRs, so I'm not making any great claims.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:10 PM »
A1: My madras recipe (based on noone's in particular) with my base recipe (based on noone's in particular)

A2: Neither exact recipe is posted on the forum

A3: N/A

A4: I believe these recipes get me closer to my idea of a BIR madras than any recipe/base combinations I have tried on the forum.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:42 PM »
A1 CK' madras (with changes) with Rajver base (with 1 off slight change - chillies reduced)"

A2 No. Recipes are posted, but not my minor changes.

A3 No.

A4 BIR madras always seems so very lightly spiced. CK's madras is very lightly spiced. the rajver is heavy spiced but seems to get away with it producing a depth of spice without anything overpowering except u need to like coconut. together they seem to produce a very good combination

Offline Onion B

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:06 PM »
A1 CK's Madras (with changes) using a Curry base I've had for ages, (I don't know if it's posted) no changes

A2 The underlying recipes are posted here, but not my changes

A3 No, The recipe is not posted

A4 I think this is a quick and basic recipe with no fancy bit's added

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:22 PM »
A1 SnS Madras with June 2008 Base

A2 Both posted

A3 I add a teaspoon of lemon juice. Otherwise unchanged

A4 Trial and error of various madras/base recipes. Have not tried CK Madras yet

-- Josh

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Q1 Panpot's Ashoka base and pastes, with my changes.
Q2 Yes i have posted my version in the photos forum.
Q3 The ashoka recipes didnt include a madras so i made my own. Now i add 1/2 tsp hing as well.
Q4 I am 100% satisfied with the result and believe it is as good as a decent BIR and better than my locals in harringay. I haven't tried darthphaal, KC, pat chapman or SnS' recipes so cant compare.
The reason i haven't been on the forum lately is because i believe i've cracked this as well as other recipe (korma, dhansak, patia, balti, dupiaza, garlic chicken)

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 01:14 PM »
A1 SnS Madras with june 2008 base using Ashoka pre-cooked chicken

A2 as per recipe on the forum

A3 like joshallen 2k add 5ml lemon or preferably lime juice

A4 have tried KD& BE bases but prefer SnS's 2008 as the flavour lingers longer on    the taste buds even after a drink. It is the nearest I have made that nearly replicates the quality of my favourite CH the India Gate in Kings Lynn but is better than some CH's I have tried in the area.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 02:43 PM »
A1 SnS 2008 base and Madras

A2 As per the posted recipe

A3 Again no changes

A4 Tried Pat Chapmans and the Kris Dhillon base with SnS Madras. Both were nowhere near as good as the SnS Madras along with the SnS2008 base.

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:55 AM »
A1. SnS Madras (Substituting Chilli Powder for Deggi Mirch) with SnS 2008 base (Substituting Chilli Powder for Deggi Mirch)

A2 Yep

A3. Yeah I think so but can't recall without looking.  I wrote the recipe down as I wanted it and cannot remember additional details without looking.

A4. I love a fairly spicy Madras so may sometimes add a bit more Deggi Mirch.  I guess that kinda makes it a Vindaloo as I was lead to believe the recipe for a Vindaloo is pretty much the same as a Madras but with extra spice (hence why in it's usually in our local BIRs listed in the menu as 'Chicken Curry/Chicken Madras/Chicken Vindaloo')

©2024 Curry Recipes