Author Topic: Green Peas Pilau  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Garnett

• Chef
    • View Profile
Green Peas Pilau
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:24 AM »
I've been reading so many recipes on here in the last few days, I thought I better give something back. This is the best rice I've ever made.

This is a recipe from "Curry - Fabulous dishes from around the world" ISBN 9781405315722

I've found some of the recipes in there to be somewhat poor, but others are gems and overall I'd recommend the book.  This recipe is one such gem. The cooked rice has a wonderful delicate but delicious flavour and would lend itself to a similarly subtle curry so that its flavour is not missed.

Mutter Pulao - Green Peas Pilau

Ingredients

400g Basmati rice
75g ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp cloves
1 cinnamon leaf or bay leaf
4 green cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
2 red onions finely sliced
100g frozen petit pois or peas thawed
1tbsp salt
10g mint leaves, shredded
10g coriandr leaves, chopped

Method

Wash rice in cold running water, then soak in cold water to cover for 20-25 mins.
Heat ghee in a thick-bottomed casserole over a moderate heat and add the whole spices. When they start popping add the onions and fry until brown. Add peas and fry for 2-3 mins. Pour in 800ml water. Add salt, cover and bring to boil.

drain the rice and add to casserole. Cover and bring back to boil. Cook for 8-10 mins over a moderate/high heat, stirring occassionally and gently not to break rice grains.

When water is nearly absorbed and small holes appear in surface of rice, add mint and coriander. Cover tightly and cook for 10 mins on LOW heat.

©2024 Curry Recipes