Author Topic: Buffalo Chicken Wings  (Read 2809 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Buffalo Chicken Wings
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:32 PM »
Buffalo Chicken Wings

I just bought a new BBQ last week, so as it was a scorcher last Sunday, I made these to everyones delight :)

1/4 cup 60ml butter
1/4 cup 60ml Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce
Dash ground pepper
Dash garlic powder
1/2 cup 120ml all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
10 chicken wing pieces
Vegetable oil for frying

Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375. You want just enough oil to cover the wings entirely, an inch or so deep at least.

Combine the butter, hot sauce, ground pepper, and garlic powder in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat until the butter is melted and the ingredients are well−blended.

Combine the flour, paprika, cayenne powder, and salt in a small bowl.

If the wings are frozen, be sure to defrost and dry them. Put the wings in a large bowl and sprinkle the flour mixture over them, coating each wing evenly. Put the wings in the refrigerator 60−90 minutes. This will help the breading to stick to the wings when fried.

Put all the wings in the hot oil and fry 10 to 15 minutes or until some parts of the wings begin to turn dark brown. Remove from the oil to a paper towel to drain. Don't let them sit too long, because you want to serve them hot.

Quickly put the wings in a large bowl. Add the hot sauce and stir, coating all of the wings evenly.

Serve with bleu cheese dressing and celery sticks on the side.

Some people don?t like wings, so you can always do the same with Chicken Breast cut into strips or drumsticks. I would leave the skin on though.

You can get the Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce from www.wiltonwholefoods.com

I tried it with Tabasco once and it isn?t half as good as the Louisiana Sauce.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Buffalo Chicken Wings
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:39 AM »
976bar,

just the lack of the Louisiana sauce stopping me on this one. is there a more readily available laternative. what for example are the spices.

also of interest is that no batter is used (to attach the flour). any info on this appreciated. (see my LFC for info http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3445.0)

it may be of interest - i've found that more of the spice taste comes through by not putting it into the flour - coat it directly onto the meat (ie as a dry rub).

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:34 AM »
976bar,

just the lack of the Louisiana sauce stopping me on this one. is there a more readily available laternative.

Jerry try Frank's Hot Sauce available from sainsbury's. This got me very very close to the ones I had in the States. I mix it 3 to 1 with tabasco and only use margarine, not butter, for that authentic taste.

Oh, and dredging in flour, most definitely not. Not one wing I had in the states was in any way adulterated like that. Just deep fried plain wings, that's all. That said, I also make it with the flour coating method, and it is nice too.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Frank's Hot Sauce available from sainsbury's. This got me very very close to the ones I had in the States. I mix it 3 to 1 with tabasco and only use margarine, not butter, for that authentic taste.

Sold. also on the non dredging.

the interest in the flour coating is purely in relation to my LFC & Chips. does plain flour straight onto meat work as good c/w with dipping in egg/milk wash 1st then the flour.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 02:16 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I guess you can use any hot sauce you like really, but I have to admit having used the tabasco and a few others as well, the louisiana has that edge. I guess its a bit like everyone having their own favourite version of a Madras, everyone likes their own ingredients.......

With the flour, its not litterally dredged in it, I just simply put that flour mixture into a bowl and roll the chicken in it, then just tap the chicken on the edge of the bowl when I have finished. It gets rid of excess flour, but just leaves a fine coating on the chicken.

Putting it in the fridge makes the fine coating of flour adhere to the chicken and when cooking, gives a nice crisp finish thats all....

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:09 AM »
976bar,

many thanks for explanation - i will try using the plain flour method side by side with the egg dip next time i make LFC.

i'll also add the wings on the try list.

©2024 Curry Recipes